September 19 2014 Latest news:
Sunday, September 9, 2012
Francis Coquelin has admitted that may have to move away from Arsenal if he cannot force his way into the Gunners’ side this season.
The France Under-21 international believes he is not far behind the club’s established stars and hopes that manager Arsene Wenger’s failure to replace Alex Song provides a window of opportunity for him.
Earlier this year Coquelin penned a new contract to stay at the Emirates Stadium and he is aiming to build on the 17 appearances he made last term.
Pre-season talks with the Arsenal boss were positive and he was assured he was in Wenger’s plans but Coquelin has not featured in the club’s three Premier League games this term.
He told L’Equipe: “In July, I met the coach and he told me I am a full member of the team and he relies on me. Looking at who we have signed, they have trust in me.
“Alex Song left for Barcelona and they didn’t (sign) another defensive midfielder.
“When I didn’t play in the first three matches it made me think about it. But I know I will get an opportunity and I will seize it.
“Arteta, Diaby and Cazorla are great players, who have more experience than me. But during training sessions every morning I am not behind them.
“I am 21-years-old, I know I cannot be patient any more. This year is the right season to make a name for myself at Arsenal.
“I have given myself six months and then I will take stock. If I see it is blocked, I will go somewhere else. But for now I know I have the qualities to make a name for myself at Arsenal.”