Search

Bitter feud over Hornsey Rise free school could finally be at an end

15:52 24 July 2014

The old Ashmount site has been mired in controversy for years.

The old Ashmount site has been mired in controversy for years.

Archant

A bitter feud over a new free school could finally be at an end after a deal was thrashed out.

Support your community by viewing your local businesses

Please wait

You will be able to read the article in 5 seconds

Thank you for supporting your local community

You may now read the article

Former Ashmount site timeline

Oct 10 - contractor chosen to build new Ashmount School in Crouch Hill

Sep 12 - Islington Council passes plan to bulldoze old site for housing

Dec 12 - Haringey councillors write to education secretary Michael Gove asking him to keep it as a school

Dec 12 - old school closes

Jan 13 - new Ashmount school opens in Crouch Hill opens

Feb 13 - consultation on future of the site announced

May 13 - DfE announces Islington will have a new free school

Oct 13 - Whitehall Park looks set to open in 2014 and appoints headteacher

Oct 13 - squatters move in to the empty building

Nov 13 - squatters evicted

Jan 14 - council offer compromise of halving the site between school and houses

Feb 14 - Dfe announce new school is over subscribed

Mar 14 - a Freedom of Information request reveals on 72 pupils have been signed up

Jun 14 - £10million plan for the new school unveiled

Jul 14 - temporary classrooms approved so Whitehall Park can open in the autumn

Jul 14 - deal finally reached?

The future of the former Ashmount site, in Ashmount Road, Hornsey Rise, has been steeped in controversy ever since it moved to a new £16.5million premises in Crouch Hill.

Islington Council wanted to use the site for housing, creating homes and raising cash from the sale, and says the extra school places are not needed.

Meanwhile the owners claim the new school is popular with parents and its entry year is oversubscribed.

Now a final deal has been agreed, with roughly half the site used for housing and 25 additional places being found at the new school for children with sever learning difficulties.

Joe Caluori, Islington Council’s executive member for children and families said: “A year ago we faced losing 82 affordable family homes and £3million in capital funding for our schools so that the Department for Education (DfE) could open a free school for which there is absolutely no need in the area.

“We made our opposition clear and whilst obviously this is a decision solely for the Secretary of State, representations made by politicians, parents, teachers and unions have helped the DfE see sense and agree to the deal we suggested earlier this year.”

Part of the agreement with the DfE includes eight new residential spaces for needs, including 8 residential places for children with special needs elsewhere in the borough.

Cllr Calouri said: “I believe we have achieved an acceptable outcome.”

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Islington Gazette visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Islington Gazette staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Islington Gazette account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 12:05
Now you see it...Ms Kowalska's gas meter was stolen leaving her and her childen in a freezing cold house

A single mum and her two children - one of whom is asthmatic - were left in a freezing cold house after heartless thieves stole their gas meter.

Mon, 14:02
Jgerji Lleshi

A man from Holloway has been jailed for his part in a drug smuggling ring that imported more than £40million of cocaine and heroin into the UK.

Mon, 12:48
Daisy McFadyen is being hunted by police

A young woman is being hunted by police after she didn’t turn up to a court hearing almost two weeks ago.

Mon, 12:00
Silhan Ozcelik, who police believe has left London for Syria to help in the fight against Isis.

A teenage girl from Islington may be the first British female to join the fight against Islamic State terrorists in Syria.

Most read news

Eddie said that despite being sexually attracted to children, he’s never committed a crime and that there’s many more like him.

PM speaks out after Lee Rigby report is made public calling one internet firm a ‘safe haven’.

Social network named in media reports as the platform used by extremists and criticised in government report.

The security services were not in a position to stop the attack on Lee Rigby, but an internet firm might have been able to help foil the plot.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the $m.global.archantvariables.NewspaperTitle e-edition today E-edition