Search

Blaze sparked by attempts to cook spaghetti with toaster in Hornsey Rise

12:11 10 July 2012

Toasters are intended for bread, not spaghetti

Toasters are intended for bread, not spaghetti

Archant

A reckless attempt to cook spaghetti with a toaster sparked a huge maisonette blaze forcing two men to flee.

Four fire engines and 20 firefighters were rushed to Warltersville Road, in Hornsey Rise, last night after fire erupted when the men attempted to heat a can of tinned pasta by placing it on the toaster.

The lucky pair got out before the fire crews reached the scene and escaped injury – but the property was left heavily damaged.

Watch manager Adam Barnett said: “The two men had wedged the toaster on and were cooking a tin of spaghetti on top of it. Thankfully no one was injured and we managed to prevent the fire from spreading to other homes.

“There were no smoke alarms in the property so I’d urge everyone to get one today. And it’s never a good idea to try and heat a tin on your toaster, as we’ve seen here, it can be really dangerous.”

The Fire Brigade was called at about 9.35pm and had the flames under control shortly after 10pm.

0 comments

Latest Islington News Stories

10:19

Every week, we take to the streets to find a start-up business right here in Islington. This week, we found a takeaway focusing on “clean eating”.

Yesterday, 16:55

Holloway snapper Josh Redman’s clients include international businesses – but Islington is still his inspiration, he tells the Gazette.

Yesterday, 15:51

The deadline for nominating your favourite Islington heroes for an award has been extended until Thursday next week.

Yesterday, 12:00

Tenants trying to pay their rent were “hopping mad” after being locked out of Islington Council offices.

Yesterday, 10:15

A man in his 60s was left for dead after being run over in Holloway.

Yesterday, 09:29

Police have joined the search for a 75-year-old woman who went missing in Islington yesterday – without vital medication for her diabetes and mental health disorders.

Yesterday, 07:00

A barber whose Balls Pond Road salon was destroyed by a fire in November is back in business – despite the fact the blaze made him homeless.

Friday, January 13, 2017

An Archway teenager planned to invest in real estate from the proceeds of his drug dealing.

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read news

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Islington Gazette
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now