Search

Brave Islington officer’s award for saving attack victim

07:30 27 October 2012

Sgt John MacAninch receives his commendation

Sgt John MacAninch receives his commendation

Archant

An off-duty policeman has been hailed for bravery after he rescued a woman from an attacker who was armed with two snooker balls wrapped in a sheet.

Support your community by viewing your local businesses

Please wait

You will be able to read the article in 5 seconds

Thank you for supporting your local community

You may now read the article

Sgt John MacAninch was handed a commendation for his heroism in stopping the attack in May last year, which had the victim fearing for her life and left her with broken ribs and arms.

The 43-year-old had jumped out of bed after being awoken at 2am by the woman’s screams, emanating from a garden near his home.

He leapt into action and tackled the man without considering his own safety, managing to take him down single-handedly in the face of attacks with the makeshift weapon.

He restrained the culprit until other officers arrived.

The Islington sergeant, who is in charge of the Mildmay Safer Neighbourhoods team, said: “I acted on a combination of instinct and training, and would have no hesitation in doing it again. I am proud of my award and am pleased that my actions have been recognised.”

The incident took place near Sgt MacAnich’s Hertfordshire home.

Emirali Okcay, 20, pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm at St Albans Crown Court last October and was sentenced to seven years imprisonment, with a lifetime restraining order.

Sgt MacAninch was praised by the trial judge, who said he exceeded the call of duty, while the victim said she was “positive” she would have died without his intervention.

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 12:18
Islington's Borough Commander Gerry Campbell Pic: Dieter Perry

A new crack police team designed to wipe out violence within the family will be launched on Monday.

Fri, 16:09
Planned engineering work could affect your journey this weekend.

There is a relatively minor programme of planned closures on the Tube and Overground network this weekend - but they could still affect your journey. Read on for the lowdown.

Richmond Trew

A “notorious pickpocket” who was banned from using the tube has been jailed for six months after breaching his ASBO to steal a purse.

Fri, 08:10
MP Emily Thornberry: 'I grew up on a council estate'

An Islington MP has resigned from Ed Miliband’s shadow cabinet after her tweet of a house draped with England flags saw her branded a ‘snob’.

Most read news

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

At 100 years old, this was Ruby Holt’s first visit to the beach – and the first time she saw the ocean.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the $m.global.archantvariables.NewspaperTitle e-edition today E-edition