Search

Deliveroo to hire 50 ‘safety’ workers in wake of moped acid attacks across Islington, Hackney and Stratford

PUBLISHED: 10:30 03 August 2017 | UPDATED: 11:31 03 August 2017

A Deliveroo driver. Picture: Kevin Jones (CC BY 2.0)

A Deliveroo driver. Picture: Kevin Jones (CC BY 2.0)

Archant

Deliveroo is hiring 50 staff dedicated to ensuring the safety of its riders – in response to last month’s acid attacks in Islington, Hackney and Stratford.

On July 13, a moped rider threw acid at six men in a 72-minute spree. One of them was seriously injured, and at least two were Deliveroo riders.

The food delivery giant’s recruitment drive comes after our sister paper the Hackney Gazette reported riders in Hackney are refusing to work past 9.30pm out of fear of being attacked. Drivers say they have been accosted by gangs who demand they hand over their wheels.

One Deliveroo driver warned some couriers were so annoyed at the lack of protection they were considering taking vigilante action against the gangs.

This morning, Deliveroo is holding a training workshop with Hackney Council for 20 of its riders. The 50 new staff will be deployed UK-wide, and riders can approach them in person in specified places. They will work with police, councils and ambulance services.

The company will also update its app so riders can alert bosses to safety concerns and “problem hotspots”, as well as providing GoPro cameras to be worn on the helmet and used as evidence if required.

Dan Warne, managing director for Deliveroo UK and Ireland, said: “We will do everything we can to protect our riders and have put in place new measures so that riders can report any concerns they have or even move to work in another area if they feel unsafe.

“We are working closely with the police and local councils, and sharing all the information our riders give us in order to help tackle crime against our riders, which is why we’re implementing new measures like our app, and helmet-mounted cameras. These will allow us to work together, share information, and bring criminals to justice.”

A 16-year-old boy from Croydon faces a trial over last month’s attacks. He denied 15 charges in relation to the incidents. An initial hearing is scheduled to take place at Wood Green Crown Court on August 14.

Related articles

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Islington Gazette visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Islington Gazette staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Islington Gazette account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Islington News Stories

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our three-minute Met Office video forecast.

Saturday, November 18, 2017

When two Russian agents allegedly slipped radioactive poison into a cup of tea, Alexander Litvinenko wasn’t the only victim.

Friday, November 17, 2017

The controversial trampoline park being built at the Sobell Leisure Centre to get more youngsters exercising will cost them as much as £10.50 a go.

Friday, November 17, 2017

Sadiq Khan has rejected thousands of calls to bid for the empty Holloway Prison site – but said yesterday it would be an “outrage” if it ended up as vacant luxury housing.

Friday, November 17, 2017

DJs and clubbers are fighting to keep Old Street’s Magic Roundabout open after its licence expires at the end of the year.

Friday, November 17, 2017

When Stuart Hazeldine became the latest moped phone snatch victim, he thought there was a good chance of getting the device back when the “Find My iPhone” app said it was in Elia Mews, Islington.

Thursday, November 16, 2017

A scout leader who sexually abused two boys, assaulting one of them in a field on camp, has today been jailed for 10 years.

Thursday, November 16, 2017

A person died at King’s Cross St Pancras Tube station this morning after being hit by a Victoria line train.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Islington Gazette
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now