Search

Finsbury Park to close early in the wake of violent “block party”

10:55 29 August 2014

Revellers flood the streets around Finsbury Park at illegal rave - photo by Jono Kenyon

Revellers flood the streets around Finsbury Park at illegal rave - photo by Jono Kenyon

Archant

Finsbury Park will be closing its gates earlier in the wake of a “block party” which ended with a police officer being taken to hospital.

Support your community by viewing your local businesses

Please wait

You will be able to read the article in 5 seconds

Thank you for supporting your local community

You may now read the article

Party goers in the streets around Finsbury ParkParty goers in the streets around Finsbury Park

Haringey Council confirmed it would be closing the gates from 10pm to try to avoid a repeat of last Wednesday night’s illegal rave, which spilled from the streets into the park.

The council, which cannot close the gates earlier as groups and organised activities use it in the evening, said it will continue to “work with the police to review safety measures in this area”.

Cllr Paul Convery, Islington Council’s executive member for community safety, welcomed the decision. “A lot of things happen in Finsbury Park late at night which are unpleasant, so closing the gates might not be a bad solution,” he said.

“It’s frustrating for us as almost exactly a year earlier a similar thing happened around GCSE results.

“It was put out on social media, and some pretty evil natured people decided to go along and sell drugs and stir up trouble.

“People need to learn that they can’t advertise this sort of thing on social media.”

Last week’s incident saw hundreds of revellers congregate for a party late on Wednesday after it was advertised on Twitter under the hashtag #PreCarnivalBlockParty.

Police were called just after midnight when the illegal rave apparently began to spiral out of control.

A police spokesman said: “Officers, including the Air Support Unit and Territorial Support Group, attended.

“While in the area, officers responded to a fight nearby and a number of items were thrown towards them.

“One officer sustained facial injuries and has been taken to hospital for treatment.”

Forty minutes after the original call, London Ambulance Service called police to nearby Moray Road after a man was found suffering from a stab wound to the leg. He was taken to a central London hospital, and has since been discharged.

Police stayed at the scene until after 3am when the party broke up.

One person was arrested on suspicion of possessing an offensive weapon, and the injured officer – who suffered bruising to his jaw – has been discharged from hospital.

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Islington Gazette visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Islington Gazette staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Islington Gazette account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

8 minutes ago
Rose Hill at her Top Drawer pop up

An Islington designer who makes people’s pets famous has put her unique stamp on Christmas cards to help sick children.

Yesterday, 12:18
Islington's Borough Commander Gerry Campbell Pic: Dieter Perry

A new crack police team designed to wipe out violence within the family will be launched on Monday.

Fri, 16:09
Planned engineering work could affect your journey this weekend.

There is a relatively minor programme of planned closures on the Tube and Overground network this weekend - but they could still affect your journey. Read on for the lowdown.

Richmond Trew

A “notorious pickpocket” who was banned from using the tube has been jailed for six months after breaching his ASBO to steal a purse.

Most read news

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

At 100 years old, this was Ruby Holt’s first visit to the beach – and the first time she saw the ocean.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the $m.global.archantvariables.NewspaperTitle e-edition today E-edition