Search

Five sentenced over police chase that saw car plough into pubgoers outside Old Queen’s Head in Essex Road

PUBLISHED: 17:09 16 October 2017 | UPDATED: 17:28 16 October 2017

Jason Furtado. Picture: Met Police

Jason Furtado. Picture: Met Police

Archant

Five young men who were in a stolen car when it rammed into pubgoers outside The Old Queen’s Head in Essex Road have been sentenced.

Malique Howe. Picture: Met Police Malique Howe. Picture: Met Police

Jason Furtado, 20, was driving the Peugeot Partner Quicksilver that mounted the pavement and hit three people – one of whom has been left with life-changing injuries.

The attack took place on March 25, sparking fears of a repeat of the Wesminster terror attack three days earlier.

At about 11pm police spotted the vehicle, which had been stolen days earlier, in Colebrooke Row, but lost sight of it.

Police in another car then spotted it in Essex Road and gave chase. But Furtado sped off, mounting the pavement and driving towards a group of about 20 people outside the popular boozer.

Aqeel Smith. Picture: Met Police Aqeel Smith. Picture: Met Police

Two went flying over the bonnet, and one of those was carried along on top of the car before falling off and being dragged along.

The people in the car tried to run off but four were caught by police and arrested.

The man who initially got away – Furtado, of Southgate Road – was jailed for four years for causing serious injury by dangerous driving and affray. He was also banned from driving for three years.

Malique Howe, 19, of south London, dodged jail and was given a one-year term at a youth offenders institute, suspended for one year, for aggravated theft of a motor vehicle. He was also banned from driving for 21 months.

Aqeel Smith, 18, of Islington, was given an 18-month sentence at a youth offenders institute for aggravated theft of a motor vehicle, and was disqualified from driving for 21 months.

A 17-year-old received 18 months detention and a training order for aggravated theft of a motor vehicle. He was disqualified from driving for 12 months – but he did not turn up for his trial and is now at large. A warrant is out for his arrest.

Lastly, a 15-year-old boy got a 12-month youth referral order for aggravated theft of a motor vehicle, and was – bizarrely – banned from driving for one year. Scotland Yard said the ban was a mandatory part of the sentence for that crime, even though 15- and 16-year-olds cannot legally get behind the wheel of a car anyway.

They were sentenced at Blackfriars Crown Court on Friday having been found guilty in September.

Det Sgt Samuel Benbow said: “This was a cowardly act by these young males who were recklessly out of control.

“They have caused an innocent victim to suffer life-changing injuries and had the audacity to leave the scene with no regard for the welfare of those affected.

“The sentencing given by the judge reflects the serious nature of the act and we now hope the victims can start moving on with their lives.”

The case against a second 17-year-old was discontinued at Blackfriars Crown Court in September.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Islington Gazette visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Islington Gazette staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Islington Gazette account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Islington News Stories

18:19

The controversial trampoline park being built at the Sobell Leisure Centre to get more youngsters exercising will cost them as much as £10.50 a go.

Sadiq Khan has rejected thousands of calls to bid for the empty Holloway Prison site – but said yesterday it would be an “outrage” if it ended up as vacant luxury housing.

11:28

DJs and clubbers are fighting to keep Old Street’s Magic Roundabout open after its licence expires at the end of the year.

07:00

When Stuart Hazeldine became the latest moped phone snatch victim, he thought there was a good chance of getting the device back when the “Find My iPhone” app said it was in Elia Mews, Islington.

Yesterday, 16:03

A scout leader who sexually abused two boys, assaulting one of them in a field on camp, has today been jailed for 10 years.

Yesterday, 12:59

A person died at King’s Cross St Pancras Tube station this morning after being hit by a Victoria line train.

Yesterday, 11:40

The leader of Islington Council has written to Chancellor Philip Hammond urging the government to lift legislation which stops the town hall building more council homes.

Yesterday, 10:58

Drivers of diesel vehicles will soon be charged £2 an hour for short-stay parking in Islington.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Islington Gazette
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now