Search

Holloway man denies handling stolen memorial plaques

18:13 27 September 2012

Marcin Falkiewicz is accused of handling the stolen goods

Marcin Falkiewicz is accused of handling the stolen goods

PA Wire/Press Association Images

A man accused of taking nearly 400 memorial plaques stolen from graveyards to a London scrapyard denied handling stolen goods.

Marcin Falkiewicz, 33, of the Hilldrop Estate, Holloway is said to have delivered the brass tributes, including some dedicated to children and babies, in two laundry bags and a sports bag.

The Polish national is not charged with stealing the plaques, which were taken from cemeteries in Beckenham, Tonbridge and Malling, Putney Vale, and West Norwood.

Appearing in custody, Falkiewicz, who has lived in the UK for seven years, spoke only to confirm his identity and plead not guilty to the allegations during a hearing at Croydon Crown Court on Friday.

He allegedly took some 398 stolen memorials to DSM scrapyard in Thornton Heath, on April 12 this year.

Prosecutors also allege the delivery included another “800 or so” fragments of other plaques that had been smashed.

Falkiewicz is now expected to stand trial alongside yard owner Joseph Collier of Woodhall Drive, Southwark, and employee Aidis Margis of Bungalow Road, Croydon, on February 4 next year. The pair stand accused of concealing criminal property.

Adjourning proceedings, Judge Ruth Downing said she would grant Falkiewicz bail if the identities of his parents, who have offered a £10,000 security, can be confirmed.

In the meantime, he has been remanded in custody.

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 17:32
Police stopped the car along City Road.

A shotgun and several knives have been recovered by police after a car was stopped in Islington this afternoon.

Saturday, August 1, 2015
Zoe Ranson

A writer has spoken of her delight in being shortlisted for a prestigious new award which recognises the wide scope of unpublished novellas.

Thursday, July 30, 2015
Clerkenwell has been subject to a dispersal order by Islington Police for 48 hours since Wednesday

Borough Police have placed Clerkenwell on a 48 hour lockdown using a Dispersal Order.

Thursday, July 30, 2015
Cllr James Murray, Islington Council's executive member for housing

Council warn that new build programme could suffer from goverment extension of the Right to Buy scheme

Most read news

Competitions

Get your hands on some fresh trainers!

Need some new shoes to head to work or some new heels for a night on the cobbles? London24 has teamed up with online retailer Sole Trader to offer £100 worth of shoes to one lucky reader.

Take in the stunning sites of London from the summit of the O2!

Up at The O2 has teamed up with London24 to give one lucky reader the chance to experience urban mountaineering this summer with an exhilarating 90-minute climb across the roof of one of London’s most iconic landmarks.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Islington Gazette e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder