Hoxton pensioner charged with Hatton Garden jewellery heist
PUBLISHED: 08:50 21 May 2015 | UPDATED: 10:38 21 May 2015
A 74-year-old from Hoxton is among those charged in connection with last month’s Hatton Garden jewellery heist.
John Collins of Blestoe Walk, Hoxton, is one of the eight men accused of conspiracy to burgle after the Easter weekend raid.
He has been remanded in custody and will appear at Westminster Magistrates Court today.
Up to £200million worth of jewellery is thought to have been taken in the raid on April 2, including more than £60million of diamonds.
Yesterday, the Met apologised after facing criticism over is handling of the break-in at Hatton Garden Safe Deposit Company in London’s jewellery quarter.
It emerged that a call from a security firm about an intruder alert at the company shortly after midnight on Good Friday was deemed not to require a response.
Detectives from the Flying Squad apologised after confirming that alarm response procedures had not been followed, but rejected the suggestion that they were bungling “Keystone Cops”.
Commander Peter Spindler said: “On this occasion, the systems and processes that we have in place with the alarm companies weren’t followed and, as a result of that, officers did not attend the premises when, in fact, they probably should have done and for that I want to apologise.”
A more detailed investigation into the defeat of the alarm system is continuing and Scotland Yard says it will share any lessons learnt.
Collins is charged alongside William Lincoln, 59, of Winkley Street, Bethnal Green, Brian Reader, 76 and Paul Reader, 50, of Dartford Road, Dartford, Carl Wood, 58, of Elderbeck Close, Cheshunt, and Enfield men Terry Perkins, 67, of Heene Road, Daniel Jones, 58, of Park Avenue, and Hugh Doyle, 48, of Riverside Gardens.