Search

Islington gran keeps children at home for fear of paedophile attacks

11:41 25 January 2013

The woman believes her grandchildren are at risk

The woman believes her grandchildren are at risk

PA Wire/Press Association Images

A woman’s desperation to protect her three grandchildren from a predatory paedophile has led to her being threatened with prosecution for keeping them out of school.

Support your community by viewing your local businesses

Please wait

You will be able to read the article in 5 seconds

Thank you for supporting your local community

You may now read the article

The grandmother claims the children – the youngest aged just six – have been “groomed” by her daughter’s sex-offender ex-boyfriend and is refusing to let them leave the house alone.

She stepped in to look after the youngsters because of their mother’s alcohol and drugs problem and says she lives in permanent fear that the paedophile – only recently released from prison after sexually assaulting a young child – will target them.

Now she is bidding to convince three Appeal Court judges that Islington Council – which has written to her threatening prosecution if she doesn’t send the children to school – is unreasonably refusing to recognise the severe risk of abuse.

Her barrister, Ian Wise QC, told the court that her ultimate objective is to make the council move her and the children to a secret address outside the borough where they can be safe.

But town hall officials insists that the grandmother’s concerns are over-blown and social workers say the children are at “no greater risk than any other child in the borough”.

The court heard the paedophile is shortly due to move out of a bail hostel and the grandmother is not convinced her daughter’s relationship with him is over.

Describing him as “a very high risk” to the children, Mr Wise said he had systematically preyed on youngsters within relationships.

The barrister said Islington’s stance was “irrational” and accused the council of failing to put into place a “realistic plan of action”.

However, Bryan McGuire QC, for Islington, insisted the case had been given “intense scrutiny”.

He said social workers recognised that any mistake could result in the children being sexually abused but that their assessment of the risk was “sound”.

Mr Wise told the court that the children had no contact with their mother over the Christmas period.

Lords Justice Thorpe and Longmore and Lady Justice Black reserved their decision.

Latest News Stories

Rose Hill at her Top Drawer pop up

An Islington designer who makes people’s pets famous has put her unique stamp on Christmas cards to help sick children.

Yesterday, 12:18
Islington's Borough Commander Gerry Campbell Pic: Dieter Perry

A new crack police team designed to wipe out violence within the family will be launched on Monday.

Richmond Trew

A “notorious pickpocket” who was banned from using the tube has been jailed for six months after breaching his ASBO to steal a purse.

Fri, 08:10
MP Emily Thornberry: 'I grew up on a council estate'

An Islington MP has resigned from Ed Miliband’s shadow cabinet after her tweet of a house draped with England flags saw her branded a ‘snob’.

Most read news

The final GP in the UAE may not have been a thriller, but it did kind of sum up the season for a lot of drivers.

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the $m.global.archantvariables.NewspaperTitle e-edition today E-edition