Search

Islington massage parlour drops licence bid at 11th hour

06:57 17 September 2012

Pleasure Garden

Pleasure Garden

Archant

»A massage parlour – where council licensing inspectors were allegedly offered 30 minutes with a woman for £50 – has dropped its licence application at the last minute.

Pleasure Garden in Caledonian Road, Islington, was due on Tuesday to ask for a permit for a sauna, steam room and massage parlour, but cancelled at the 11th hour.

The venue was in trouble in March when council officers found it operating without a licence and shut it down.

They visited in June and saw the site had remained closed – but taxi drivers across the road reportedly told them it didn’t open until 1am.

When they returned in July after 1am, the receptionist allegedly told them it was £15 to get in, then £50 for half an hour with a girl.

According to council documents, the officers were told if they wanted longer they would have to negotiate privately with the girl.

The owner of the establishment told the council she was now operating the Pleasure Garden as a hair salon – but police officers claim that whenever they called to make appointments the phone was unanswered or engaged.

Cllr Paul Convery, who represents Caledonian ward, said: “The licence would have been refused anyway. We will have to see what they come up with next.

“The place was closed down and they have been operating without a licence.

“We felt this place should be closed down and I am glad the council, with the police, are acting.

“The witnesses that have come forward are anonymous and you can understand why people are nervous complaining about this kind of place.

“They may have connections with people who make you scared frankly.”

The Gazette was unable to contact the Pleasure Garden for a comment.

Latest News Stories

11:41
Fires in Islington have dropped 16 per cent, say LFB

Animal rescue and flood call-outs also down

06:35
Arsenal stars put their glad rags on for the club's Charity Ball

AP McCoy and Foo-fighters’ Chris Shiflett among those to bid for dinner with Arsene Wenger

Yesterday, 15:09
Two new train strikes are planned for June 4 and June 9  (Photo by Cate Gillon/Getty Images)

Planned rail strikes have been suspended after talks over a pay deal, the arbitration service Acas has said.

Yesterday, 12:41
Nathan Mayers

Police have launched an appeal to find a 13-year-old Hackney boy.

Most read news

Competitions

Time to expand with the LeefiBRIDGE.

More iOS memory in a flash: Introducing Leef iBRIDGE.

The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Islington Gazette e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder