Search

Suspected anthrax ‘attack’ on Finsbury Park mosque

13:09 16 June 2011

The Finsbury Park Mosque

The Finsbury Park Mosque

Archant

»A suspected anthrax attack on the Finsbury Park Mosque caused panic among worshippers and traffic chaos after police sealed off the area.

A package containing a suspicious white powder, an anti-Islamic message and offensive pictures of Muslim women was posted to the Imam of the mosque, in St Thomas’s Road, Finsbury Park, on Thursday.

Harmless

Staff called the police, who closed Rock Street and the mosque, leaving 150 people who turned up for prayers out on the street. After testing the substance, police found it to be harmless.

Mohammed Kozbar, manager of the mosque, said: “The letter was addressed to Imam Ahmad Saad, who opened it. He was very scared because he saw the white powder, like anyone would be in that situation.

“Police closed the mosque for about four hours, and kept all the staff inside to test them for Anthrax.

“We are all very disturbed by this because it comes so close to our fourth annual open day on June 26.”

The mosque was the victim of another attack in July last year when vandals stuck a pig’s head on the gates outside.

Mr Kozbar said: “Even though they were on CCTV, they were never caught, but this is more serious because people’s lives could have been at risk and hopefully the police will get to the bottom of it this time.

“Whoever sent the package is trying to isolate the community and undo all our hard work. I would like to show them round the mosques and show them the good work we do.”

A police spokesman confirmed cordons were put in place amid concerns over a suspicious package, and admitted it could be linked to other incidents, including one in Redbridge the following day.

He said: “We are investigating malicious communications sent to a number of addresses in London and other parts of the UK. “The inquiry relates to suspicious but non-hazardous packages sent to mosques.”

0 comments

Latest News Stories

16:30
Two new train strikes are planned for June 4 and June 9  (Photo by Cate Gillon/Getty Images)

Network Rail workers are to stage two strikes next month after a new pay offer was rejected.

15:51
Alan Cartwright was knifed to death in February

18-year-old set for court appearance today following Alan’s brutal stabbing in February

Councillor Paul Convery said the young offenders service and probation must improve

Most crimes committed by “small group of persistent offenders”

Friends paid tribute Joe Walker at the spot where he was killed

A teenage boy has been given a 12-month-detention order for his part in the death of Joe Walker, a 17-year-old from Stroud Green who was killed in a road crash last October.

Most read news

Competitions

The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

You could take in stunning views of London over brunch at the Sky Garden

Celebrate lighter, brighter days with the chance of winning an indulgent brunch for two with a bottle of bubbles at Darwin, the cool and casual brasserie 36 floors up at Sky Garden.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Islington Gazette e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder