Violent London armed robber absconds from open prison

Simon Rhodes-Butler absconded from Category D HMP Ford open prison on May 22 (Picture: Sussex Police/PA Wire


Simon Rhodes-Butler absconded from Category D HMP Ford open prison on May 22 (Picture: Sussex Police/PA Wire )

A violent armed robber from London is missing after he absconded from an open jail more than a week ago.

Simon Rhodes-Butler is the latest in a series of prisoners to have recently gone on the run, including notorious criminal Michael ‘Skull Cracker’ Wheatley.

The 37-year-old, originally from Offord Road, Islington, was jailed for seven years in September 2011 for a robbery on a garage owner in south London.

Sussex Police said Rhodes-Butler absconded from HMP Ford, a Category D open prison in West Sussex, on May 22.

Efforts to find him in the past week have failed, with an appeal now launched to find the fugitive, who has friends and family in London.

The public are warned not to approach him but to call 999 immediately if he is spotted.

Rhodes-Butler and his accomplice Ilyas Ismal attacked and robbed a garage owner of his Rolex watch in south Norwood in March 2011.

Croydon Crown Court heard that the owner of the mechanics garage feared for his life after the pair walked in and wrestled him to the ground.

PC Steve Reed, of Sussex Police, said: “We have been looking for Rhodes-Butler for a week but without success so far.

“We need to speak to anyone who might have an idea where he could be or where he has been staying.”

A string of criminals have gone on the run from open prisons recently, with Wheatley the most high-profile of them.

The 55-year-old was jailed for life this week for a raid on a building society he committed while on the run from HMP Standford Hill in Kent.

His case sparked a political row over the day release of dangerous criminals.

Anyone with information about the whereabouts of Rhodes-Butler is asked to contact Sussex Police on 101, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Islington Gazette visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Islington Gazette staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Islington Gazette account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

Fergus conducting the English National Opera. Picture: Tom Bowles/English National Opera

Anyone can enjoy opera. Shrewsbury Town FC is proof of that.

Yesterday, 17:05
Year 6 pupils interview the school's Site Manager, Robbie Robinson, about his memories of the Apollo missions

Pupils at Vittoria Primary School, Islington, are keen to talk to people who remember the Apollo space missions and Neil Armstrong’s first steps on the moon for a history project.

Yesterday, 14:28
Prince Philip presents Dr Alasdair Harris with the Duke of Edinburgh Conservation Award

The founder of an Islington-based charity was this week presented with the 2015 Duke of Edinburgh Conservation Award for contributions to marine conservation.

Yesterday, 12:30
Former Dragons' Den star Doug Richard arrives at the Old Bailey, London, for a plea and case management hearing after he was accused of child sex charges. Picture: Yui Mok/PA Wire

A former Dragons’ Den star from Islington this morning denied paying a 13-year-old girl for sex after meeting her on a “Sugar Daddy” website.

Yesterday, 11:30
Handing in the petition against the closure of Caledonian Road Station: Cllr Paul Convery, Cllr Claudia Webbe, Jennette Arnold AM, Cllr Rakhia Ismail, Cllr Paul Smith, Cllr Una O’'Halloran, and Cllr Diarmaid Ward

The fight to keep Caledonian Road Station open continues on Thursday.

Yesterday, 09:33
London Ambulance Service has been recommended for special measures following a CQC report

A damning report by health inspectors has revealed a culture of “harassment and bullying” in London’s ambulance service and called for it to be placed into special measures.

Yesterday, 07:00
Cllr Andy Hull

Jobs will be lost as a result of the budget cuts announced in Wednesday’s Spending Review, a councillor has said.

Thu, 15:52
Ashley Walters at the launch of the Radio 1 and 1Xtra Academy at Stoke Newington School in 2012. Picture: Carmen Valino

Rapper and actor Ashley Walters will appear at crown court over two accusations of threatening behaviour and one of racially aggravated harassment in Upper Street’s Hilton Hotel on May 3.

Most read news


MAC Makeup

MAC are renowned for their flawless, fabulous make up that is used worldwide by the stars. You too can have the chance to have the perfect makeup to suit your needs with £1,000 to spend on all the glam goodies you like!


You are never far from an Argos, wherever in the country you may be. They are like a magical cavern where whatever you need they seem to have it out the back behind the counter. So why not put them to the test with this great MyOffers competition to win £1000 to spend in-store.

Digital Edition

Read the Islington Gazette e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder