July 26 2014 Latest news:

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 28°C

min temp: 17°C

Five-day forecast

Pensioner is living nightmare after council leaked complaints to Andover estate yobs

Cllr Andy Hull Cllr Andy Hull

Saturday, February 22, 2014
5:00 PM

A pensioner recovering from cancer says she still fears for her life after the council leaked details of her complaints to thugs on her estate in Holloway.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Ann O’Brian, 74, has been spat at, had cigarettes thrown at her and suffers daily abuse from some neighbours on the Andover Estate, off Hornsey Road.

She says she is picked on 
because she is old and, despite making numerous reports to the police and the council, things have not improved.

Her situation was made worse when details of the complaints made by her and 50 other tormented residents on the estate, were sent to the yobs they were complaining about in April 2012.

Despite six families having to be rehoused and the town hall being forced to spend £50,000 on extra policing on the estate, an Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) investigation which concluded last month decided the council should not be fined.

“The fact that the council hasn’t been fined is outrageous, all they’ve got is a slapped wrist. They should be fined again, they’ve done it again and again. I’m very upset about it,” said Mrs O’Brian. “They’ve put my life in danger.”

Danger

Mrs O’Brian has just recovered from breast cancer and is on anti-depressants. She lives with her daughter who is her carer and is now afraid to go out on her own.

“I’ve just had enough of it. We’re scared to go out because the thugs are always hanging around. The council apologised, but that’s not good enough. The person who leaked the data should have got the sack.”

Mrs O’Brian was one of 14 residents on the estate who received between £1,000 and £5,000 in compensation for the leak.

But Anna Thwaites, the solicitor who brought the joint action against the town hall, says it should have been punished further for the blunder.

“More robust action should have been taken, especially as there was a further Data Protection Act breach by the council within two months,” she said. “This indicates that lessons were not learnt and the council did not take its obligations seriously.”

Cllr Andy Hull, Islington Council’s executive member for finance and performance, said: “We apologised sincerely at the time for this serious error and we repeat that apology now. We take community safety seriously and encourage residents to report any concerns. We have not received any reports of harassment or intimidation of those whose details were leaked.

“Since this incident occurred, we have tightened up our systems and enhanced the training given to all staff who handle personal data to reduce the risk of such mistakes in the future.”

“It was the Information Commissioner’s decision to audit the council rather than impose a fine. We will co-operate fully with their audit and their expert advice will help us make further improvements.”

Share this article

0 comments

   Local advertisers

Other Crime & Court Articles

Click here to read the Digital Edition of the Islington Gazette on screen
Use our Wedding site to help you plan your big day!
At WeddingSite we know how much you have to organise for your wedding day, that's why we have designed a set of FREE, simple-to-use tools to make the planning process easy & hassle-free. FIND OUT MORE
Find a date using our online dating and friend finder
You can meet new friends, find romance or simply meet up online with people sharing similar interests and hobbies. FIND OUT MORE
Find a local business using our online directory search
Need a plumber? Or a florist? Or anything else? Search our business directory to find Islington businesses in just a few seconds. FIND OUT MORE
Family notices from the Islington Gazette, with readers' tributes
In memoriam, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, best wishes & special days. FIND OUT MORE

Celebrity / Showbiz See all

Drake has cancelled his Wireless London performance (Photo by Theo Wargo/Getty Images for ESPN)

Fans devastated after Drake cancels Wireless London festival

Rapper Drake has pulled out of his headline appearances at this weekend’s Wireless Festival in London, leaving fans devastated.

Read full story »