Search

Islington councillor’s MP ambitions prompt anger

19:26 18 September 2012

Islington Town Hall

Islington Town Hall

Archant

Islington’s controlling Labour group have been accused of lacking commitment to the borough as a second Cllr pursues a Parliamentary career.

Support your community by viewing your local businesses

Please wait

You will be able to read the article in 5 seconds

Thank you for supporting your local community

You may now read the article

Cllr Jess Asato, who currently represents St George’s Ward, was selected as the 2015 Labour Parliamentary candidate for Norwich North.

It’s not clear when she will stand down from her council role, but she will be the fifth Labour councillor to try and leave the town hall for Parliament since 2010.

Earlier this year Cllr Lucy Rigby left to fight the Lincoln seat, while Cllrs Kate Groucutt, Andy Hull and Charlynne Pullen were unsuccessful in trying to represent Cardiff, Bradford and Milton Keynes respectively.

MPs Jack Straw, Meg Hillier and Margaret Hodge have also left Islington Labour for Parliament in the past.

If Cllr Asato leaves before the Islington elections, her departure will trigger a by-election – the fourth since Labour came to power – each costing around £25,000. Theopposition Lib Dems have criticised the council for wasting money.

Cllr Terry Stacy, leader of the Lib Dems, said: “By-elections have cost £75,000 already, and Norwich is a long way to go for the residents of St George’s to see their councillor. It doesn’t show a great commitment to the borough.”

Cllr Paul Smith, deputy leader of Islington Labour group, said: “We are known as one of the best local authorities for our trailblazing policies.”

He added: “It’s no surprise they are being asked to stand as candidates for parliament by the Labour Party.”

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 12:18
Islington's Borough Commander Gerry Campbell Pic: Dieter Perry

A new crack police team designed to wipe out violence within the family will be launched on Monday.

Fri, 16:09
Planned engineering work could affect your journey this weekend.

There is a relatively minor programme of planned closures on the Tube and Overground network this weekend - but they could still affect your journey. Read on for the lowdown.

Richmond Trew

A “notorious pickpocket” who was banned from using the tube has been jailed for six months after breaching his ASBO to steal a purse.

Fri, 08:10
MP Emily Thornberry: 'I grew up on a council estate'

An Islington MP has resigned from Ed Miliband’s shadow cabinet after her tweet of a house draped with England flags saw her branded a ‘snob’.

Most read news

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

At 100 years old, this was Ruby Holt’s first visit to the beach – and the first time she saw the ocean.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the $m.global.archantvariables.NewspaperTitle e-edition today E-edition