Search

Islington home champs vote angers residents

14:51 28 September 2012

Theresa Coyle (residents' champion)

Theresa Coyle (residents' champion)

Archant

A new housing champion was elected and an executive formed on Tuesday following a controversial borough-wide election

Theresa Coyle, a former chairwoman of Homes for Islington (HfI), will head the new team as the residents’ champion after all the votes were counted.

In total eight people were voted into new posts, but the election process has been criticised because two roles – the tenant and leasholder representatives – had offered just one candidate.

The new executive, which will include four councillors, will advise town hall on housing policy and tackle problems raised by residents.

However, critics claim the new organisation will act as a shield for the council from unpopular decisions.

Brian Potter, chairman of Islington Leaseholders Association who boycotted the election, said: “How can you call it an election when there is only one candidate?

“Even the ones that were there, were hand-picked by the council.

“A lot of people who wanted to stand weren’t allowed to.

“I have said all along that this is HfI mark two and that is exactly what we have got: a group the council can use to do what they want and then hide behind.

“It’s payback for being allowed to close HfI two years early without suing for breach of contract. It’s absolutely disgusting.”

Cllr Barbara Sidnell, a former director of HfI, who will chair the new executive, said: “Congratulations to the eight election winners of our housing ballot.

“I’d like to thank all the candidates who put themselves forward for these housing roles and all those who voted.

“It’s a great privilege and an enormous responsibility to serve, helping residents have a bigger say in how their council-owned homes are run.

“The work starts immediately with professional training to get all our members up to speed on all the issues.

“Expect our housing executive and champions to be making headlines as we work together to put housing at the forefront of council business.”

About 10 per cent of the 35,000 eligible electorate voted. The election cost £40,000.

The first meeting of the executive will be October 23.

The new housing executive:

Residents’ champion: Theresa Coyle

Residents’ vice champions: Susanne Lamido (tenant) and Peter Owen (homeowner)

Tenant (north): Lawrencia Frempong

Tenant (south): Jim Rooke

Partners tenant: Rose-Marie McDonald

Tenant-led organisation Tenant representative: David Mulcahy

Homeowner representative: Liana Sparks

Cllrs: Barbara Sidnell (chair), Jean-Roger Kaseki, Mick O’Sullivan, Terry Stacy and Claudia Webbe

1 comment

  • Plus ca change. £40k spent for a 10% turnout. Very representative. Another truly ridiculous idea that no other borough would touch with a barge pole. Well done Looney Islington, another Pythonesque initiative achieved....

    Report this comment

    ILAG

    Friday, September 28, 2012

Latest Islington News Stories

Yesterday, 19:47

A self-styled devil worshipper who locked a teenager in his Barnsbury flat and raped her has been jailed for nine years.

Yesterday, 10:02

The leader of Islington Council believes plans for a new academy will address the shortage of primary schools places in the area.

Fri, 19:03

Divisive Highbury Grove head Tom Sherrington, who came under fire last year over job cuts, finances and discipline, has left the school with immediate effect.

Fri, 18:01

Traditional cars will be banned from parking and loading in a number roads around Old Street in the hope of cleaning up Shoreditch’s filthy air.

Fri, 16:26

Five Islington Police officers have been shortlisted for a Met bravery award for detaining a man waving a machete – and wearing what appeared to be a suicide vest.

Fri, 14:37

An unlikely combination of university students and inmates have achieved that rarest of feats – a feelgood story about Pentonville Prison.

Fri, 10:46

Violent Arsenal and West Ham fans who brawled outside a Wetherspoons pub in Upper Street have been jailed and banned from attending games.

Thu, 14:45

A 69-year-old man with stage 3 cancer has claimed he was “shoved in a corner” of A&E for 16 hours after being rushed to hospital with open wounds.

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read news

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Islington Gazette
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now