London Met University’s launches legal bid on foreign students ban

18:14 04 September 2012

London Metropolitan University students protest outside Downing Street, central London, to express their distress and anger at the UKBAÕs decision to strip it of its right to admit foreigners.

London Metropolitan University students protest outside Downing Street, central London, to express their distress and anger at the UKBAÕs decision to strip it of its right to admit foreigners.

PA Wire/Press Association Images

London Metropolitan University is taking legal action against the government after it was banned from teaching students from outside the EU.

The university announced on Monday that it will challenge the UK Border Agency’s decision to strip its right to sponsor visas.

The institution stands to lose up to £30million a year and fears have been raised over its long-term survival.

Vice-chancellor Malcolm Gillies said: “London Met will fight this revocation, which is based on a highly flawed report by the UKBA.”

The university and staff fiercely dispute UKBA’s claim it is guilty of “serious and systemic failings” in keeping track of overseas students.

UKBA says a quarter of the university’s overseas students checked in an audit didn’t have permission to stay in the country and there was no proof they were turning up to lectures.

Cliff Snaith, secretary of the University and College Union (UCU) London Met branch, said: “The UKBA’s decision is outrageous and has no basis whatsoever in reality.”

Up to 2,600 overseas students now face deportation if they do not find other universities by December 1.

Adnan Pavel, vice-president of London Met Students’ Union, who hails from Bangladesh and has paid £30,000 in fees since 2009, said: “The government is playing with our students’ lives simply to further its political agenda. If the university or some students have broken the rules, why are they penalising all those who haven’t done anything wrong and paid so much to be here?”

He added: “Students are finding it very difficult to find other universities. Some only have one or two modules to complete and they will have to start the year again, while many universities have closed their admissions.”

Thousands have signed a petition due to be taken to the Home Office in a rally outside its headquarters as the Gazette went to press yesterday (Wednesday).

Meanwhile, Islington North MP Jeremy Corbyn raised the issue in Parliament this week, calling for current students to be allowed to complete their courses.

Earlier, he warned: “If this decision is not changed rapidly... the very existence of [London Met] will be called into question as a major part of its income relies on overseas students.”

This is the latest in a string of crises at London Met. It was fined £35million in 2009 by the Higher Education Funding Council for misrepresenting student numbers. Last year it faced criticism for slashing more than 70 per cent of courses and scrapping many departments altogether.


Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 13:57
A man riding a moped tried to set fire to Finsbury Park Mosque in north London (Picture: Google Street View)

Police are hunting a moped rider suspected of trying to set Finsbury Park Mosque on fire in what is being treated as a “hate crime”.

Saturday, November 28, 2015
Fergus conducting the English National Opera. Picture: Tom Bowles/English National Opera

Anyone can enjoy opera. Shrewsbury Town FC is proof of that.

Friday, November 27, 2015
Year 6 pupils interview the school's Site Manager, Robbie Robinson, about his memories of the Apollo missions

Pupils at Vittoria Primary School, Islington, are keen to talk to people who remember the Apollo space missions and Neil Armstrong’s first steps on the moon for a history project.

Friday, November 27, 2015
Prince Philip presents Dr Alasdair Harris with the Duke of Edinburgh Conservation Award

The founder of an Islington-based charity was this week presented with the 2015 Duke of Edinburgh Conservation Award for contributions to marine conservation.

Friday, November 27, 2015
Former Dragons' Den star Doug Richard arrives at the Old Bailey, London, for a plea and case management hearing after he was accused of child sex charges. Picture: Yui Mok/PA Wire

A former Dragons’ Den star from Islington this morning denied paying a 13-year-old girl for sex after meeting her on a “Sugar Daddy” website.

Friday, November 27, 2015
Handing in the petition against the closure of Caledonian Road Station: Cllr Paul Convery, Cllr Claudia Webbe, Jennette Arnold AM, Cllr Rakhia Ismail, Cllr Paul Smith, Cllr Una O’'Halloran, and Cllr Diarmaid Ward

The fight to keep Caledonian Road Station open continues on Thursday.

Friday, November 27, 2015
London Ambulance Service has been recommended for special measures following a CQC report

A damning report by health inspectors has revealed a culture of “harassment and bullying” in London’s ambulance service and called for it to be placed into special measures.

Friday, November 27, 2015
Cllr Andy Hull

Jobs will be lost as a result of the budget cuts announced in Wednesday’s Spending Review, a councillor has said.

Most read news


MAC Makeup

MAC are renowned for their flawless, fabulous make up that is used worldwide by the stars. You too can have the chance to have the perfect makeup to suit your needs with £1,000 to spend on all the glam goodies you like!


You are never far from an Argos, wherever in the country you may be. They are like a magical cavern where whatever you need they seem to have it out the back behind the counter. So why not put them to the test with this great MyOffers competition to win £1000 to spend in-store.

Digital Edition

Read the Islington Gazette e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder