Barnard Park: Islington Council’s controversial decision to shut football pitch challenged by government

PUBLISHED: 15:25 25 August 2017 | UPDATED: 16:44 25 August 2017

Campaigners from both Barnard Park football pitches and the Sobell Centre outside the Town Hall before a council meeting discussing both controversial projects. Picture: Polly Hanock

Campaigners from both Barnard Park football pitches and the Sobell Centre outside the Town Hall before a council meeting discussing both controversial projects. Picture: Polly Hanock


The council’s controversial decision to shut Islington’s last free full-size football pitch has been challenged by the government.

Players picketed the town hall in June as plans to dig up the pitch in Barnard Park and replace it with “grassy areas” and a smaller football pitch were signed off.

But this afternoon it came to light the decision had been called in by communities secretary Sajid Javid.

That means it will now be decided on by the Department of Communities and Local Government.

Islington Council’s environment chief Cllr Claudia Webbe said: “We’ve received notification that the Secretary of State has called in our planning application for Barnard Park.

“We are of course disappointed. Islington is a densely populated and geographically small borough, and its parks are rightly very highly valued.

“There are differing views on this project, but following extensive discussions with the community and park users, we agreed a plan, with majority support, that sought to strike a reasonable balance so that Barnard Park could be enjoyed by all including parents, older people, footballers, children and young people and other park users. We want the park to meet diverse local needs.

“We are now carefully considering the detail of the call-in and our response.”

Campaigner Mark Ransford welcomed the news after seeing it on the Gazette website. He said: “We think it’s a vote for democracy.

“We thought the decision of the council was ridiculous. We are very hopeful that on inspection by the government planners the full disaster of their plans will be shown up in the spotlight of a public enquiry.”

Cllr Caroline Russell (Green, Highbury East) told the Gazette: “It’s good that they’ve seen sense, that they’ve actually going to scrutinise this decision. To me, what it looks like is another example, alongside the Sobell, of the council not valuing sporting facilities. In a week when we’ve had this crisis of physical inactivity brought to our attention with the new NICE report encouraging everyone to do brisk walking.

“The idea that the council is trashing our existing sporting provision, both at Barnard Park and the Sobell, is just really sad and I’m glad it’s going to get some proper scrutiny.”

Related articles

1 comment

  • This is indeed good news and I hope Sajid Javid does a full investigation and comes to the conclusion that Islington council's plan is not of benefit to local residents and it certainly does not have local support. The council has continually claimed their plan is a good compromise when they know it is not. The council also knows it never did a proper consultation process. This has been an expensive time-wasting exercise from the start. If the council had acted correctly, we would all have access to a well-maintained sports pitch by now and our council's consultants would have a lot less of our cash in their pockets.

    Report this comment

    Hilary Knights

    Friday, August 25, 2017

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Latest Islington News Stories

Fri, 17:42

The town hall wants the government to pay for fire safety measures after a committee called for sprinklers to be fitted in all high-rises – something that could cost up to £97million.

Fri, 16:54

Plans have been approved for a new children’s home in Islington to be run by a King’s Cross charity.

Dillon Zambon, one of the two young men accused of being part of Nashon Esbrand’s murder in Canonbury last year, this afternoon told a jury: “I never intended for Nashon to get hurt.”

Fri, 14:30

The heroic Islington firefighters who rescued Angel flood victims joined the Pearly King and Prince of Finsbury to be given the freedom of the borough last night.

Fri, 14:16

Police are appealing for witnesses after a man was slashed with a knife near King’s Cross station last night.

Fri, 11:16

City University students showed their support for striking lecturers by staging a sit-in protest this week.

Thu, 17:44

Business owners waded in to try and break apart a 20-strong group of scrapping teenagers in Highbury last night.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Islington Gazette
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now