Search

Cricket ‘banned’ in Islington in health and safety row

15:01 10 February 2011

The Pacific team line up in front of the pavilion at Wray Crescent

The Pacific team line up in front of the pavilion at Wray Crescent

Archant

Islington Council has banned cricket at the borough’s last remaining ground after it was forced to pay out £680 to an aggrieved driver whose car was damaged by a mighty six.

Support your community by viewing your local businesses

Please wait

You will be able to read the article in 5 seconds

Thank you for supporting your local community

You may now read the article

A game in progress at Wray Crescent

The sound of leather on willow in the borough could be a thing of the past after town hall chiefs suspended all adult cricket at Wray Crescent, in Finsbury Park, on the advice of its insurance team.

The announcement has infuriated members of the resident Pacific Cricket Club, who have played there for 15 years and say they are loved by all the locals – except for one resident.

Peter Hollman, club secretary at Pacific, said: “We are raging about this bombshell. Wray Crescent is a crime hotspot and the residents are really happy to have us because we keep the gangs away, but there’s one guy who hates us. He’s got a Porsche and two other flash cars and any time the ball goes near them he takes it and refuses to give it back.

“Last year he actually drove his car onto the ground and refused to move until they agreed to play from one end.”

Howzat

Wray Crescent has been the only venue for cricket in Islington since Tufnell Park Playing Fields in Campdale Road, was turned over entirely to football a decade ago.

Pacific had already scheduled this summer’s fixtures when it learned of the suspension this week.

The letter from Islington Council said: “We recently had an insurance claim against the council for a damage to a motor vehicle due to a cricket ball striking it.

“Our insurance team recommended that all cricket should be suspended until measures have been obtained in relation to the safety of the public. We may be in a position where we have to confirm we will no longer be able to have adult cricket played on the site.”

Councillor Paul Smith, Islington council’s executive member for environment he says he “is working with the club on exploring investment alternatives that will keep the pitch up to standard and neighbours and property safe”.

Pacific’s treasurer, James Gleadow, 28, who lives in Tytherton Road, Tufnell Park, said: “If this goes ahead it will effectively be a ban on public access cricket in Islington.

“We understand that the council has a duty to protect its residents but suspending cricket seems rather draconian.

“We are fully insured against balls smashing into cars and we believe this incident happened when the council rented the pitch out to a third party. It’s totally unfair.”

1 comment

  • Surely the council could put up one of those big nets along that boundary to keep the cars safe. My son has played cricket on this ground a number of times and on a summers day is a lovely sight -how shameful would it be for this council to allow one car owner to stop this most English past time much enjoyed by so many people.

    Report this comment

    swenders

    Thursday, February 10, 2011

Latest News Stories

12:18
Islington's Borough Commander Gerry Campbell Pic: Dieter Perry

A new crack police team designed to wipe out violence within the family will be launched on Monday.

Yesterday, 16:09
Planned engineering work could affect your journey this weekend.

There is a relatively minor programme of planned closures on the Tube and Overground network this weekend - but they could still affect your journey. Read on for the lowdown.

Yesterday, 11:22
Richmond Trew

A “notorious pickpocket” who was banned from using the tube has been jailed for six months after breaching his ASBO to steal a purse.

Yesterday, 08:10
MP Emily Thornberry: 'I grew up on a council estate'

An Islington MP has resigned from Ed Miliband’s shadow cabinet after her tweet of a house draped with England flags saw her branded a ‘snob’.

Most read news

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

At 100 years old, this was Ruby Holt’s first visit to the beach – and the first time she saw the ocean.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the $m.global.archantvariables.NewspaperTitle e-edition today E-edition