Search

Highbury Fields barbecue fallout: ‘Burning sausages are invading our homes’

PUBLISHED: 13:31 01 June 2016 | UPDATED: 15:00 26 May 2017

Up in smoke: Highbury Fields pictured in summer last year. Picture: Stephanie Knight

Up in smoke: Highbury Fields pictured in summer last year. Picture: Stephanie Knight

Archant

An action group last night launched a petition to ban barbecues in Highbury Fields.

The row erupted after the weekend’s hot weather saw “countless” disposable barbecues on the popular green space.

Nearby homeowners are sick of “burning sausage” smell wafting through windows, while the Save Highbury Fields group argue barbecues release toxic particle PM2.5 into the air.

Islington Council overturned a previous barbecue ban in 2011.

Environment leader Cllr Claudia Webbe stood by that decision this week, arguing most people in Islington “don’t have have their own garden” to enjoy barbecues.

But Stephanie Knight, a former environmental journalist from the Save Highbury Fields group which launched the petition, said today: “Equally, there are just as many who want to enjoy fresh air and sunshine to escape the pollution of this city.

“Whenever there’s a heat wave, you see in the media: ‘Go to Highbury Fields for a barbecue this weekend.’ We accept it is a destination, but it has got increasingly intense. More and more people are coming with barbecues.

“If there are four, that’s fine. But now there are so many that you can’t even count. We feel we are being invaded by the smell of burning sausages.”

Cllr Webbe said: “Lifting the barbecue ban has been incredibly popular. Most people living in Islington don’t have a garden, and this gives everyone a chance to enjoy their own barbecue with friends and family in our open spaces.

“While we accept that on a small number of days of the year this does cause an increase in smoke, we believe it is a worthwhile trade-off to ensure people are able to use and enjoy their local parks over the summer.”

To view the petition, visit: you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-highbury-fields?bucket=

1 comment

  • I wonder if the local residents would complain in this way if one of their neighbors used a barbaque in their back garden

    Report this comment

    Hornsey Would

    Sunday, July 10, 2016

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Latest Islington News Stories

The town hall has taken a step towards reopening an investigation into the child abuse scandal that still blackens Islington’s name – thanks to evidence uncovered by the Gazette.

Yesterday, 20:42

Islington South and Finsbury MP Emily Thornberry tonight joined the hundreds of people bemoaning the closure of M. Manze, saying: “It’s part of what Islington represents.”

Yesterday, 16:58

Chapel Market institution M. Manze is to shut after 106 years in Islington.

Yesterday, 14:58

Furious five-a-side players have served Islington Council with a legal notice over the decision to replace their pitches at the Sobell Leisure Centre with a trampoline park.

Yesterday, 14:21

Victor Jankovsky and Patricia Kavanagh are an extraordinary couple: they have been adult foster carers since 1981. Victor speaks to the Gazette.

Yesterday, 12:39

The Overground line between Barking and Gospel Oak could be closed over the Christmas period to allow electrification work to be completed.

Yesterday, 10:15

It was a devilish end-of-term library session for youngsters at St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School with the visit of an award-winning author.

Yesterday, 09:28

A Finsbury Park woman who faced a court hearing over rent owed to her landlord took her own life, an inquest heard.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Islington Gazette
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now