Search

Holloway mother died of drug overdose

06:41 13 August 2012

...

...

Archant

A former crack and heroin addict who had tried to turn her life around died of an accidental overdose, leaving a baby son, a court heard Monday.

Support your community by viewing your local businesses

Please wait

You will be able to read the article in 5 seconds

Thank you for supporting your local community

You may now read the article

Elaine Cagehin, 41, from Axminster Road, Holloway, leaves her young son without a mother after she was killed by a cocktail of methadone, valium and alcohol which her diseased liver was unable to process.

She was found dead by her partner Martin Dean on May 13 at his house in nearby Marlborough Road. He told St Pancras Coroner’s Court he had begged paramedics to save her life as blood was coming out of her lungs.

Ms Cagehin had battled drug and alcohol addiction for many years, but her condition before her death was described as stable by her nurse.

Her mother Christine Deasy, now the boy’s legal guardian, said she had no idea of the extent of her daughter’s battle with substance abuse.

She said: “I didn’t realise she had anything to do with drugs – we hadn’t heard from Elaine for quite a few years.

“Social services wrote a letter to us asking us to get in touch and then we found out she had a son.

“He was six months old and had spent five months in hospital due to Elaine’s drug addiction – that’s when I knew.”

Both Ms Cagehin’s partner and the nurse said she had been on top of her drug problem and sticking to her prescribed methadone, although diazepam was found in her system.

Mr Dean said: “I wasn’t aware of her using any other drugs. It must have been behind our back.

“We were watching a film when I crashed out on the couch. At about 4am I woke up and she was lying on her side. She didn’t look comfortable so I went to move her. When I turned her over I saw her lips were a funny colour.

“I called the ambulance and when they came I begged them not to stop. They carried on, but blood was coming out of her lungs, so they called it.”

The coroner, Dr Shirley Radcliffe, recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 16:37
Cllr Richard Watts

Heavy hints were dropped that council tax may rise next year at a frenetic first leader’s question time last night.

Yesterday, 13:32
More than 2,750 women were victims of violence in Islington during the last year

A domestic abuse clinic will be held in Islington for the first time tomorrow in response to the borough’s rising tide of violence against women.

Yesterday, 10:20
Robert Khan (left) and Tom Salinsky, the writers of Coalition

Audacious new measures have been put forward this morning to get the borough’s whopping 40,000 jobless people into work and stop Islington becoming a “dormitory”.

Tue, 12:05
Now you see it...Ms Kowalska's gas meter was stolen leaving her and her childen in a freezing cold house

A single mum and her two children - one of whom is asthmatic - were left in a freezing cold house after heartless thieves stole their gas meter.

Most read news

Up to 3,000 people took to the streets of London in vigils for Mike Brown which turned into a protest march down Oxford Street.

The NHS have introduced a new pill for those who struggle to screw the lid back on that bottle of wine.

Today the doctor has received an eight-year sentence for a string of offences.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the $m.global.archantvariables.NewspaperTitle e-edition today E-edition