Search

Family of murdered Andrew Jaipaul in plea a year after his killing

12:55 02 July 2012

Andrew Jaipaul

Andrew Jaipaul

Archant

The family of tragic knife victim Andrew Jaipaul appealed to the parents of his killers to come forward on the first anniversary of his death.

Support your community by viewing your local businesses

Please wait

You will be able to read the article in 5 seconds

Thank you for supporting your local community

You may now read the article

Mr Jaipaul’s sister Rachel Kirby urged mothers and fathers with any inkling that their son was involved in the killing to contact police.

Detectives say the 21-year-old was knifed by a group of up to 20 men – yet 12 months on, nobody has been charged with the killing.

Mrs Kirby, 39, the oldest of Mr Jaipaul’s four siblings, said the family is tormented daily by his death.

She added: “It’s been really hard for us. We live a minute from where he was brutally stabbed, and people are wandering around still not convicted and not being punished for their crime against my brother.

“It’s just really sad knowing they’re running around, maybe still not even knowing the wrong they have done.

“We’re appealing to the parents. We hope to encourage them to come forward and do something to help. Surely they must have noticed something. Maybe one of them came home with bloodstained clothes, with a weapon, or the parents heard them talking about something.”

Mr Jaipaul was stabbed in a brutal gang attack on June 26 last year – one year ago on Tuesday – on the Andover Estate, off Hornsey Road, Holloway.

He lived in Birnam Road, which backs onto the estate, and was working as a painter-decorator at the time, with dreams of becoming a fashion designer.

The family held a memorial at his grave on Tuesday, releasing a dove and speaking of their memories, although his father was too distraught to attend.

Mrs Kirby said: “It was a mixture of emotions, but it was quite nice hearing the memories. People were saying how he was always loving and how he made them laugh, and had such a beautiful smile.”

Eighteen youths and men between 13 and 24 were arrested last summer on suspicion of murder and bailed pending further inquiries. They are due to return to police in July. Anyone with information is asked to call police on 020 8345 1570, or to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Latest News Stories

Rose Hill at her Top Drawer pop up

An Islington designer who makes people’s pets famous has put her unique stamp on Christmas cards to help sick children.

Yesterday, 12:18
Islington's Borough Commander Gerry Campbell Pic: Dieter Perry

A new crack police team designed to wipe out violence within the family will be launched on Monday.

Fri, 16:09
Planned engineering work could affect your journey this weekend.

There is a relatively minor programme of planned closures on the Tube and Overground network this weekend - but they could still affect your journey. Read on for the lowdown.

Richmond Trew

A “notorious pickpocket” who was banned from using the tube has been jailed for six months after breaching his ASBO to steal a purse.

Most read news

The final GP in the UAE may not have been a thriller, but it did kind of sum up the season for a lot of drivers.

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the $m.global.archantvariables.NewspaperTitle e-edition today E-edition