Search

Family of mother who died following Whittington Hospital weight loss operation call for probe

06:45 27 August 2013

Pic of parents James and Janet Blake and grandaughter Chloe Blake 9 pictured together holding a picture of Kim Blake who died just recently, at 1 Durston, Grafton Road, NW1

Pic of parents James and Janet Blake and grandaughter Chloe Blake 9 pictured together holding a picture of Kim Blake who died just recently, at 1 Durston, Grafton Road, NW1

Dieter Perry

The family of a mother who died after weight-loss surgery are calling for her case to be included in a probe into another woman’s death after a similar operation at Whittington Hospital.

Support your community by viewing your local businesses

Please wait

You will be able to read the article in 5 seconds

Thank you for supporting your local community

You may now read the article

Earlier this month the Gazette reported how surgeon Dugal Heath has been temporarily banned from performing gastric bypasses and bands after 39-year-old mother-of-three, Jane White, died in September last year.

A General Medical Council (GMC) investigation – while setting up an Interim Orders Panel – has been launched following an inquest in June this year which heard she died of “multiple organ dysfunction due to complications” after weight-loss surgery.

Now, the parents of Kim Blake, who also received weight-loss surgery from Dr Heath before dying nine months later, also from complications, want their daughter’s case to be included.

There was no suggestion from inquests into either woman’s death that Dr Heath was negligent.

Ms Blake’s parents, however, say they want to get to the bottom of “unanswered” questions.

Her father, James, of Kentish Town, this week revealed how he and wife Janet were left to look after their seven-year-old granddaughter following Ms Blake’s death.

He said: “She was operated on twice at Whittington Hospital and then twice at University College London Hospital and we still feel we don’t know what may have happened. We still feel there are unanswered questions.

“There’s not a day goes by that we don’t think about her and miss her. She was the most loving mum to her daughter and most caring and loving daughter to us.”

Dr Heath carried out the initial operation in January 2010, but Ms Blake could not keep food down afterwards.

A second operation at the Whittington then took place to correct the problem, but failed to work.

A third operation performed, after her care was transferred to University College Hospital in Bloomsbury also failed to find any obstruction – but Ms Blake continued to deteriorate and died in December 2010, before an operation to reverse the procedure could be carried out.

It is understood the GMC investigation into Jane White’s death will revisit previous patients’ experiences, with Ms Blake’s parents calling for her case to be revisited as part of the probe.

Dr Heath has six conditions against him, including not performing weight-loss surgery while the GMC investigation is carried out.

A spokesman for Whittington Health NHS Trust said: “We can confirm that a consultant general and bariatric surgeon has been excluded from the Trust while investigations are carried out into his practice.

“The Trust takes patients’ safety extremely seriously and took action following concerns about his practice.”

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Rose Hill at her Top Drawer pop up

An Islington designer who makes people’s pets famous has put her unique stamp on Christmas cards to help sick children.

Yesterday, 12:18
Islington's Borough Commander Gerry Campbell Pic: Dieter Perry

A new crack police team designed to wipe out violence within the family will be launched on Monday.

Fri, 16:09
Planned engineering work could affect your journey this weekend.

There is a relatively minor programme of planned closures on the Tube and Overground network this weekend - but they could still affect your journey. Read on for the lowdown.

Richmond Trew

A “notorious pickpocket” who was banned from using the tube has been jailed for six months after breaching his ASBO to steal a purse.

Most read news

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

At 100 years old, this was Ruby Holt’s first visit to the beach – and the first time she saw the ocean.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the $m.global.archantvariables.NewspaperTitle e-edition today E-edition