Search

Government admits blunder in Islington’s office to flat fight

PUBLISHED: 13:17 29 August 2014 | UPDATED: 14:43 02 September 2014

Archway Tower's flats are set to go ahead even if the Goverment reverse their decision

Archway Tower's flats are set to go ahead even if the Goverment reverse their decision

Archant

A blunder by the Government could help the town hall land a decisive blow against controversial new office to flat conversion rules.

Islington Council have led the fight against the legislation, which allows developers to turn office space into dwellings virtually at will, since it was adopted last May.

Initially the borough asked to be made exempt from the new rules, then revised the request to just having parts of Islington excluded.

The Government said no, claiming the council hadn’t built enough new homes to fill their required quota.

But the town hall always said the Government’s figures were flawed, and now the Department for Communites and local Government has admitted the gaff and agreed to quash their original decision.

Cllr James Murray, said: “No-one would deny that London needs new homes.

“We are one of the top boroughs nationally for building new homes - we’re actually building thousands of genuinely affordable homes for social rent.

“The Government says its policy is about converting empty offices into homes.

Yet in Islington, we can see the damaging effect this policy is having. We’re losing jobs but getting lots of one-bed and bedsit flats, with no affordable housing or other community benefit.

“I am pleased [Secretary of State] Eric Pickles accepts his department made a mistake, and I hope this means we can now have a proper discussion about how we can protect jobs and provide decent, affordable homes in Islington.”

A total of 71 office buildings in Islington, including the infamous Archway tower, have already obtained prior approval for conversion, and it’s thought these will go through regardless of any future Government decision.

The town hall estimates the loss of office space is around 45,000 sq metres, capable of accommodating 3,000 to 3,500 jobs.

They say about half of this space was occupied by small businesses and charities.

Brandon Lewis, Housing and Planning Minister, said: “It is disappointing that Islington is using public funds to try to oppose new homes for Londoners. “Their latest judicial review attempt relates to a technical point on housing numbers in London.

“We are happy to have a dialogue with the council on these issues, but we have been clear about the real need for more homes, especially in London.

“However, Islington council are out of touch if they think more one-bedroom and studio flats in central London for young people are a bad thing.”

1 comment

  • Islington Council are out of touch with a great deal more than one bedroom and studio flats for young people. They seem to think that the existence of office space automatically guarantees job creation, disregarding that a lot of the office spaces that developers want to convert are unsuitable for modern technology, have been lying empty or partially empty for years and have little or no hope of finding anchor tenants.

    Report this comment

    pinkypaul

    Saturday, August 30, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Latest Islington News Stories

12:53

A Holloway teenager who almost cost a man his leg in a stabbing has been sentenced to two years’ detention.

11:03

Campaigners have been dealt a huge blow in their bid to stop a luxury housing block “ruining” their historic estate after the government snubbed their calls for help.

13:20

A Chinese takeaway boss has applied for late-night licence after operating for a year without one – and claiming he had no idea.

12:21

Islington Council’s Social Democrat opposition attacked Labour after it emerged the town hall had been taking in traveller families in the winter.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Campaigners hoping to stop the demolition of Victorian homes in their Finsbury Park street have come out fighting after plans were officially submitted by developers.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Police are searching for a man who has gone missing from Islington.

Friday, July 21, 2017

When three mums set up the Essex Road Pre-School in an old launderette next to the Marquess Estate in 1977, they didn’t expect it to be going strong 40 years later.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

A headteacher leaving Montem Primary School after a decade at the helm believes staff and students are set for an exciting new chapter.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Islington Gazette
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now