Search

Islington bar face cut in hours for ‘generating violent crime’

15:02 25 June 2014

XOXO in Upper Street

XOXO in Upper Street

Archant

A restaurant and bar faces having its opening hours slashed amid police concerns that drunk punters have brawled on more than one occasion and it generates too much violent crime.

Support your community by viewing your local businesses

Please wait

You will be able to read the article in 5 seconds

Thank you for supporting your local community

You may now read the article

XOXO, which offers a mix of Asian food, cocktails and late-night DJs in Upper Street, Islington, is set to be discussed by an Islington Council licencing committee tonight (Wednesday) after officers complained following a series of disturbances inside and outside.

Pc Peter Conisbee has compiled a report which police believe is grounds for cutting the venue’s hours back to midnight from the current 2am licence.

The alleged disturbances include:

n Up to 20 drunk youngsters involved in a mass brawl which led to several arrests for actual bodily harm, affray and assault of a police officer.

n A man left the venue intoxicated and was then assaulted. He was later found collapsed and too drunk to tell emergency services about any next of kin.

n Drunk punters who left the bar tried to get into nearby Ladybird Bar and attacked bouncers when they were refused entry.

n Reports of a mass disturbance involving women and men fighting.

n An extremely drunk girl dashed straight out of the venue into the road.

Pc Conisbee said that the venue attracted a very young, intoxicated crowd and that there had been a number of very serious incidents in the past year.

He said: “The level of violent crime associated with this venue is wholly disproportionate to similar well-managed venues in the area.

‘Unsolved’

“The police cannot afford to permit a venue to operate which in its current state generates so much violent crime – much of which remains unsolved, due in part to the extreme level of intoxication of the victims.”

As part of the review, which is backed by a number of nearby residents, the police want the current designated premises supervisor, Santosh Kholi, to be removed and the current security team to be changed.

The venue’s owner declined to comment.

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Islington Gazette visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Islington Gazette staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Islington Gazette account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 16:09
Planned engineering work could affect your journey this weekend.

There is a relatively minor programme of planned closures on the Tube and Overground network this weekend - but they could still affect your journey. Read on for the lowdown.

Yesterday, 11:22
Richmond Trew

A “notorious pickpocket” who was banned from using the tube has been jailed for six months after breaching his ASBO to steal a purse.

Yesterday, 08:10
MP Emily Thornberry: 'I grew up on a council estate'

An Islington MP has resigned from Ed Miliband’s shadow cabinet after her tweet of a house draped with England flags saw her branded a ‘snob’.

Thu, 17:17
MP Emily Thornberry: 'I grew up on a council estate'

An Islington MP has defended a picture she posted on Twitter after an online backlash branded her a “revolting snob”.

Most read news

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

At 100 years old, this was Ruby Holt’s first visit to the beach – and the first time she saw the ocean.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the $m.global.archantvariables.NewspaperTitle e-edition today E-edition