Search

Islington Council loses battle over Finsbury Park development

13:40 06 July 2012

How the new building will look

How the new building will look

Archant

A framing firm that has worked with the likes of David Hockney and Francis Bacon has won its long-running battle to build a large student development.

Support your community by viewing your local businesses

Please wait

You will be able to read the article in 5 seconds

Thank you for supporting your local community

You may now read the article

Art company John Jones has been given the go-ahead by the High Court to build a £70million student block, after Islington Council’s attempts to stop the plans were thrown out.

Work will finally start on the seven-storey structure in Morris Place, Finsbury Park, in the autumn.

The company says it is building 15 flats and 475 student rooms to fund a new workshop that will enable it to expand.

Matthew Jones, the managing director, said: “We are in desperate need of more space and this decision is great news for our business.

“I hope that now the judge has made his decision, we can move forward, working with the council for the benefit of Finsbury Park.”

Planning permission was granted in March last year by a planning inspector on appeal, after the council rejected the scheme.

It wanted affordable housing on the site.

Cllr James Murray, executive member for housing and development, said: “We believe a scheme with fewer student flats would still be feasible – it would bring new jobs for the area alongside new affordable housing.

“We are disappointed by the court’s decision and will decide our next steps in the coming weeks.”

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 12:18
Islington's Borough Commander Gerry Campbell Pic: Dieter Perry

A new crack police team designed to wipe out violence within the family will be launched on Monday.

Fri, 16:09
Planned engineering work could affect your journey this weekend.

There is a relatively minor programme of planned closures on the Tube and Overground network this weekend - but they could still affect your journey. Read on for the lowdown.

Richmond Trew

A “notorious pickpocket” who was banned from using the tube has been jailed for six months after breaching his ASBO to steal a purse.

Fri, 08:10
MP Emily Thornberry: 'I grew up on a council estate'

An Islington MP has resigned from Ed Miliband’s shadow cabinet after her tweet of a house draped with England flags saw her branded a ‘snob’.

Most read news

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

At 100 years old, this was Ruby Holt’s first visit to the beach – and the first time she saw the ocean.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the $m.global.archantvariables.NewspaperTitle e-edition today E-edition