Search

Million pound home owners push out Barnsbury family business for bigger gardens

11:26 30 January 2014

Brian Southwood (right) with co-worker Ronnie

Brian Southwood (right) with co-worker Ronnie

Archant

A family car repair shop in Barnsbury is set to be knocked down so that residents in million pound homes can extend their gardens.

Support your community by viewing your local businesses

Please wait

You will be able to read the article in 5 seconds

Thank you for supporting your local community

You may now read the article

Great grandfather Brian Southwood, 75, has worked in Brooksby Mews since he was 14 and his brother Alfie owned all the workshops in the cobbled ally.

Islington Council was planning to put the land up for auction in May 2011, but backed out when it faced opposition from residents in Brooksby Street and Bewdley Street, whose homes back on to the mews.

Loyal customers

Now the town hall has exchanged contracts with a company formed by residents, transferring the land to them.

Mr Southwood, who lives in Gospel Oak, said: “The council was asking for £300,000 six months ago, so I went down and offered it but they wouldn’t give me a straight answer.

“If it’s being sold we should get first option as leaseholders. We’ve got lots of loyal customers and have built a reputation over the years – some of them have been coming to us for more than 30 years.

“We’ve had three years not knowing what was going on and now this company pops up.”

Brooksby Mews Management Company Ltd was founded in October and lists among its directors eight living in houses that back on to the mews and one who is said to live in the Cayman Islands.

The council agreed the transfer of the land last week.

The council had planned to turn the land in to affordable housing but planning restrictions made this unfeasible.

The money from the sale will be used for new council housing, school buildings, and energy saving investments.

A town hall spokesman said: “Last week the council exchanged contracts with a local residents’ group whose properties back on to these lock-up garages for the purpose of extending their gardens.

“We have been in touch with Mr Southwood since early 2013 during which time he was given an equal chance to purchase these garages.

“We advised him that extending the workshop/repairs business in this location was unlikely to be possible under our planning policy and we identified alternative sites nearby.”

0 comments

Latest News Stories

12:18
Islington's Borough Commander Gerry Campbell Pic: Dieter Perry

A new crack police team designed to wipe out violence within the family will be launched on Monday.

Yesterday, 16:09
Planned engineering work could affect your journey this weekend.

There is a relatively minor programme of planned closures on the Tube and Overground network this weekend - but they could still affect your journey. Read on for the lowdown.

Yesterday, 11:22
Richmond Trew

A “notorious pickpocket” who was banned from using the tube has been jailed for six months after breaching his ASBO to steal a purse.

Yesterday, 08:10
MP Emily Thornberry: 'I grew up on a council estate'

An Islington MP has resigned from Ed Miliband’s shadow cabinet after her tweet of a house draped with England flags saw her branded a ‘snob’.

Most read news

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

At 100 years old, this was Ruby Holt’s first visit to the beach – and the first time she saw the ocean.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the $m.global.archantvariables.NewspaperTitle e-edition today E-edition