Search

More than £10million raised in 3 months selling off Islington Council house sales - but cash could disappear down ‘black hole’

11:16 27 August 2014

More than £10million has been raised in 3 months from selling Islington Ccouncil properties

More than £10million has been raised in 3 months from selling Islington Ccouncil properties

Anna Bruce

More than £10million has been raised in just three months selling off Islington Council homes - but the lion’s share could disappear into a Government “black hole”.

Support your community by viewing your local businesses

Please wait

You will be able to read the article in 5 seconds

Thank you for supporting your local community

You may now read the article

The sale of 65 properties under the Right To Buy (RTB) scheme between April and June has had town hall tills ringing to the tune of £10.2m – an estimated £22million over the last year.

But RTB rules, which give council tenants the chance to buy their home for £100,000 less than the market value, mean up to 75 per cent of the cash goes back to the Government coffers.

In addition a secret deal between the town hall and Partner for Improvement in Islington (PFI), who manage Islington’s street properties, means the authority have to dish out up to £40,000 every time a PFI property is sold.

Brain Potter, chair of Islington Leaseholders Association, said: “I support RTB as long as the money is ploughed back into much needed housing for the borough.

“But of that £10million at least £7million is going to central government where it disappears into a black hole.

“No one know what happens to it, but it certainly never come back to Islington.

The receipts should stay in the borough

“If we got to keep all that money, they wouldn’t be talking about things like libraries closing.”

Brandon Lewis, housing and planning minister said: “Critics of RTB are enemies of home ownership, and fail to appreciate the wider benefits of helping people move on and up the housing ladder.

“So far, RTB sales have generated over £500 million in receipts to be reinvested in new affordable homes, and council house building starts are now at a 23-year high.

“More council housing was built in London last year than all thirteen years of the last Government.”

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Islington Gazette visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Islington Gazette staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Islington Gazette account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 10:46
Rose Hill at her Top Drawer pop up

An Islington designer who makes people’s pets famous has put her unique stamp on Christmas cards to help sick children.

Saturday, November 22, 2014
Islington's Borough Commander Gerry Campbell Pic: Dieter Perry

A new crack police team designed to wipe out violence within the family will be launched on Monday.

Friday, November 21, 2014
Richmond Trew

A “notorious pickpocket” who was banned from using the tube has been jailed for six months after breaching his ASBO to steal a purse.

Friday, November 21, 2014
MP Emily Thornberry: 'I grew up on a council estate'

An Islington MP has resigned from Ed Miliband’s shadow cabinet after her tweet of a house draped with England flags saw her branded a ‘snob’.

Most read news

The final GP in the UAE may not have been a thriller, but it did kind of sum up the season for a lot of drivers.

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the $m.global.archantvariables.NewspaperTitle e-edition today E-edition