Search

Motorists still confused despite £30,000 road layout redesign

13:21 20 September 2012

Another car had to be lifted away in Drayton Park

Another car had to be lifted away in Drayton Park

Archant

Less than 40 per cent of drivers are correctly negotiating a new traffic layout installed to replace its failed predecessor – in a saga that has now cost taxpayers around £110,000.

The original width restrictions, including traffic islands and bollards, were put in place in Drayton Park, Highbury, to stop lorries using the road as a short cut.

The layout cost £80,000 but the council admitted the scheme was flawed after multiple accidents and ripped the whole thing up before consulting on a new design.

The new set-up, which cost a further £30,000, has been in place for about two weeks but, according to council officers, around 60 per cent of drivers are still struggling to negotiate the road.

The problem has forced the council to suspend penalty notices for infractions at the junction until October 15.

Cllr Terry Stacy, leader of Islington’s opposition Lib Dem group, said: “What should have been a simple way to stop lorries using the road has become a bit of a joke.”

Susan Cannon, 57, who drives through Drayton Park to get to her home in Blackstock Road, Finsbury Park, said: “It’s totally confusing. It seems to have arrows pointing both ways.

“On Sunday morning I drove down it one way, my husband went the other and my son just followed the car in front. We are three different age groups and different walks of life and none of us had any idea. I can’t understand it at all.

“When you drive up to it you have to make a snap decision. It is really badly designed.”

Cllr James Murray, executive member for housing and development on Islington Council, said: “The width restriction at Drayton Park was put in to stop lorries using it as a rat run. It reopened last week following some changes, on which residents and local groups were consulted.

“As with all new traffic schemes it will be reviewed to check it is operating correctly. The council’s usual approach is to give drivers a short period to get used to the new design before enforcement starts.”

0 comments

Latest Islington News Stories

24 minutes ago

A man in his 60s was left for dead after being run over in Holloway.

A barber whose Balls Pond Road salon was destroyed by a fire in November is back in business – despite the fact the blaze made him homeless.

Police have joined the search for a 75-year-old woman who went missing in Islington yesterday – without vital medication for her diabetes and mental health disorders.

Friday, January 13, 2017

An Archway teenager planned to invest in real estate from the proceeds of his drug dealing.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Police have today released an image of a man wanted after a woman was sexually assaulted on the 341 bus in Islington Green.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

A council tenant is at his wits’ end after enduring damp and mould problems in his Andover Estate home for 23 years.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Despairing commuters expecting an end to the traffic hell around Holloway Road on Monday will instead have to wait until spring, the Gazette can reveal.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Islington homeowners and tenants face a five per cent council tax increase – but town hall leaders promised there will be no cuts to frontline services.

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read news

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Islington Gazette
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now