Search

Part of Archway house destroyed in fire caused by cigarette

PUBLISHED: 11:57 06 March 2018 | UPDATED: 16:28 06 March 2018

Part of the property in Witley Road, Archway, was destroyed by the blaze. Picture: London Fire Brigade/Twitter

Part of the property in Witley Road, Archway, was destroyed by the blaze. Picture: London Fire Brigade/Twitter

Archant

A badly discarded cigarette destroyed part of a house in Archway yesterday afternoon.

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters were called to the fire in Witley Road just before 3pm.

Half of the first floor of the property was damaged by fire.

Two people evacuated the house before the Brigade arrived. One person was treated at the scene and one was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service, both suffering from smoke inhalation.

It took the firefighters about an hour to bring under control. The Brigade said the fire was caused by the unsafe disposal of a cigarette into a bin

A spokesperson said: “We’d rather you didn’t smoke at all, but if you are a smoker, it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”

Latest Islington News Stories

15:42

Police want to speak to this woman over £1,500 worth of damage to a minicab caused by two passengers.

Finsbury Park has been stripped of its Green Flag status after a damning “mystery shopper” report by an environmental charity.

11:58

It used to be the most polluted primary in Islington – now St John Evangelist is the first school to ban cars at pick-up and drop-off times.

10:23

Eastenders actor and Celebrity Masterchef winner John Partridge will be switching on the Archway Christmas lights.

Yesterday, 19:13

A 61-year-old man threatened to fetch his gun while arguing with a shopkeeper in King’s Cross Road on Sunday, it is claimed.

Yesterday, 18:22

A sports academy is offering free sessions to Islington children every Sunday morning at Market Road Football Pitches.

Yesterday, 17:02

A discount card supporting local independent businesses has expanded into Islington.

Yesterday, 15:39

Firefighters rescued a man from his bedsit above the Archway Tavern this morning after it went up in flames.

Promoted Content

Fostering older teenagers means giving them the skills for life as an adult. Here, a supportive lodgings carer with Islington Council and young adult who has left care share their stories

Newsletter Sign Up

Islington Gazette twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Islington Gazette
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now