Council risks ‘serious backlash’ if it goes ahead with plans to increase number of concerts in Finsbury Park

07:00 15 December 2012

Ian Brown of The Stone Roses, who will play Finsbury Park next June. Picture: PA/Yui Mok

Ian Brown of The Stone Roses, who will play Finsbury Park next June. Picture: PA/Yui Mok

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Proposals to increase the number of events held at Finsbury Park have been unveiled just weeks after a promoter was granted a year-round licence to hold concerts.

Draft budget proposals reveal Haringey plans to tear up the current agreement, which allows up to five concerts per year in the park, so it can increase the revenue it receives by £85,000 over the next two financial years.

But the plans have sparked concerns that noise and disruption will increase for residents who live near the park – who have little opportunity to appeal against future concerts since Haringey agreed to grant promoter SJM a licence which will simplify its future applications for gigs.

The licencing committee has also agreed to increase crowd capacities by 25 per cent, from 40,000 to 50,000.

Haringey’s Liberal Democrat group is now demanding residents be consulted about any increase – with Stroud Green councillor Katherine Reece warning the Labour administration would risk “a serious backlash” if it goes ahead with more events.

“The concerts in Finsbury Park are hugely enjoyable for those who attend, but local residents and park users need to be considered too,” she said.

“For many local families Finsbury Park is their back garden and the concerts can mean nowhere for their kids to play. These events can also cause huge damage to the park, turning grassy areas into mudbaths as happened in Hyde Park this year. This damage can take months and months to repair.

“The council needs to hold a full consultation with local residents and park users before making any decision to hold more concerts.”

David Schmitz, Lib-Dem councillor for Harringay ward, has also questioned how much money any extra events would make for the council.

He said: “While every penny counts, the amount left over from £40,000 after cleaning up the site will not be worth the disruption caused to local residents. Their needs must be properly considered.”

A council spokesman said the proposal would allow more flexible use of Finsbury Park for things like community events, fairs, concerts and festivals. However, the schedule would continue to “be carefully managed” to help minimise disruption to residents.

“We are committed to striking the right balance between commercial, community and general public enjoyment of the park,” he said, adding: “Permission will be needed from the council’s parks service for each event. As with all budget proposals, this recommendation has to be approved by cabinet and full council.”


Latest News Stories

28 minutes ago
London Ambulance Service has been recommended for special measures following a CQC report

A damning report by health inspectors has revealed a culture of “harassment and bullying” in London’s ambulance service and called for it to be placed into special measures.

Andy Hull

Jobs will be lost as a result of the budget cuts announced in Wednesday’s Spending Review, a councillor has said.

Yesterday, 15:52
Ashley Walters at the launch of the Radio 1 and 1Xtra Academy at Stoke Newington School in 2012. Picture: Carmen Valino

Rapper and actor Ashley Walters will appear at crown court over two accusations of threatening behaviour and one of racially aggravated harassment in Upper Street’s Hilton Hotel on May 3.

Yesterday, 12:49
Cllr Richard Watts

More than 1,000 of Islington’s unemployed have found jobs in the last year, thanks to a council-led scheme.

Yesterday, 10:48
Mélanie Lambert works at Le Sacré Coeur restaurant in Islington

A French waitress working in Islington says she is trying to stay strong after two of her friends were killed in the Paris terror attacks.

Yesterday, 09:00
The attack occured on the junction of Northdown Street and Pentonville Road. Picture: Google Street View

Crimestoppers and BT Openreach have launched an appeal for information after damage to a telecommunications network in King’s Cross left nearby businesses and homes without telephone and broadband services.

Yesterday, 07:00
Mayor of London Boris Johnson discusses knife crime with Brooke and Deborah Kinsella on Tuesday

Before 2015 is out, knife crime in Islington is already at its highest rate since 2010.

Most read news


MAC Makeup

MAC are renowned for their flawless, fabulous make up that is used worldwide by the stars. You too can have the chance to have the perfect makeup to suit your needs with £1,000 to spend on all the glam goodies you like!


You are never far from an Argos, wherever in the country you may be. They are like a magical cavern where whatever you need they seem to have it out the back behind the counter. So why not put them to the test with this great MyOffers competition to win £1000 to spend in-store.

Digital Edition

Read the Islington Gazette e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder