Project launches in Hackney and Islington to combat gang rape and forced oral sex

16:21 16 November 2012

A new initiative launched last week to help vulnerable woman in Hackney and Islington combat gang rape and forced oral sex, including the “line up” phenomenon.

Safe Choices, an initiative run by Nia - an organisation which helps combat violence against women and children - will work with 13-25 year old females at risk of sexual violence, sexual exploitation and gang-association.

Dr Julia Long. Head of Operations for Safe Choices told the Gazette: “What we’ve found from previous Safe Choices projects is that the young people we work with are vulnerable to a number of things, like domestic or partner violence, they have little adult support, fraught relationships with parents or carers, and they might be unlikely to trust other services.”

Gang rape and forced oral sex might be issues that need to be confronted.

“Gang culture has a phenomenon of line ups where a woman may be coerced into performing oral sex on a line of men. It can get quite sensationalist though, and we just don’t know if these women have experienced this,” said Dr Long.

She continued: “They don’t necessarily have to be involved in gang culture but it is one of the referral criteria.

“These are young women presenting with often quite serious and high risk situations like their own violent offending or being victims of violent offending,” she added.

“In a way the project challenges the idea of victims and perpetrators, because violence has become a normal part of their lives,” she added.

“It’s a complex area of work, all the gang initiatives and youth offending teams have a vested interest in us preventing the women offending.”

The women, some of whom will be leaving care or custody, will be provided with one-to-one support as well as group sessions covering topics like sexual consent, anger, identity and risk.

“The approach we take is we work very much with the young woman and she’s at the centre of the work, we value and respect and listen to her perspective and act a as an advocate for her,” said Dr Long.

“One of the things we are conscious of is the need for our project worker to put in time building up a relationship of trust with that woman.

“Safe Choices is an excellent example of an intervention that puts young women at the centre, and gives them the support they need to keep themselves safe and make positive choices,” said Carlene Firmin, MBE, from the Office of the Children’s Commissioner at the launch last Thursday at the brand new Forest Road Youth Hub in Haggerston, Hackney.

Safe Choices is funded by the Big Lottery Reaching Communities programme.


Latest News Stories

Former Dragons' Den star Doug Richard arrives at the Old Bailey, London, for a plea and case management hearing after he was accused of child sex charges. Picture: Yui Mok/PA Wire

A former Dragons’ Den star from Islington this morning denied paying a 13-year-old girl for sex after meeting her on a “Sugar Daddy” website.

London Ambulance Service has been recommended for special measures following a CQC report

A damning report by health inspectors has revealed a culture of “harassment and bullying” in London’s ambulance service and called for it to be placed into special measures.

Cllr Andy Hull

Jobs will be lost as a result of the budget cuts announced in Wednesday’s Spending Review, a councillor has said.

Yesterday, 15:52
Ashley Walters at the launch of the Radio 1 and 1Xtra Academy at Stoke Newington School in 2012. Picture: Carmen Valino

Rapper and actor Ashley Walters will appear at crown court over two accusations of threatening behaviour and one of racially aggravated harassment in Upper Street’s Hilton Hotel on May 3.

Yesterday, 12:49
Cllr Richard Watts

More than 1,000 of Islington’s unemployed have found jobs in the last year, thanks to a council-led scheme.

Yesterday, 10:48
Mélanie Lambert works at Le Sacré Coeur restaurant in Islington

A French waitress working in Islington says she is trying to stay strong after two of her friends were killed in the Paris terror attacks.

Yesterday, 09:00
The attack occured on the junction of Northdown Street and Pentonville Road. Picture: Google Street View

Crimestoppers and BT Openreach have launched an appeal for information after damage to a telecommunications network in King’s Cross left nearby businesses and homes without telephone and broadband services.

Most read news


MAC Makeup

MAC are renowned for their flawless, fabulous make up that is used worldwide by the stars. You too can have the chance to have the perfect makeup to suit your needs with £1,000 to spend on all the glam goodies you like!


You are never far from an Argos, wherever in the country you may be. They are like a magical cavern where whatever you need they seem to have it out the back behind the counter. So why not put them to the test with this great MyOffers competition to win £1000 to spend in-store.

Digital Edition

Read the Islington Gazette e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder