Two fires in 24 hours at same mental health home leaves neighbours calling for action

10:11 04 August 2014

Paxton Court

Paxton Court


Two fires within 24 hours at the same mental health home have got neighbours calling for action.

Both blazes took place at Paxton Court, in Westbourne Road, Holloway – an assisted care home for the mentally ill – during the weekend.

On Sunday a tenant put a pan on the hob and went out – the building was evacuated and no one was injured.

But the other fire took place at night, when the residents are left unsupervised – and people in the area say this has to change, because the building was only given planning permission on the condition it would be looked after 24 hours a day.

One neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: “We live almost above and our window is right by their roof.

“One of my sons had to run out the flat with no shoes as the smoke started coming in to our flat, my neighbour came out in her dressing-gown.

“Paxton Court is for people with mental problems, so while I have the utmost respect for them to try and lead a normal life, they are not supposed to ever be unsupervised, especially at night.

“Even two of the residents living in Paxton Court have said they are scared at night.

“Now the kids are on holiday, the windows are open and I am scared to sleep.

“What if one of those flats has a gas bottle heater?

“It is absolutely shocking to live with fear. I just think something needs to be done and very quick. It is a serious accident waiting to happen

“Two house fires in the same block is not normal, or acceptable.”

Another person who lives in the area added: “thought there was someone with them all the time. If there isn’t, then that’s wrong.”

A spokesman for Origin Housing, which runs the home, confirmed the 11 tenants of Paxton Court were unsupervised between 10pm and 7am, but had alarm systems they could use, and had all been risk assessed and deemed not to require 24 hour support.

He added: “There was a fire on Saturday night within a resident’s flat which is still under investigation. The fire brigade were not called out but there were signs of there being a fire within the property.

“There was also a completely unrelated and minor fire on Sunday during the day, when staff were on site and a smoke alarm went off in the tenant’s flat. The tenant had gone out leaving a pan on the electric hob.

“The fire brigade were called out by the staff on site.”


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Islington Gazette visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Islington Gazette staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Islington Gazette account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Islington News Stories

Yesterday, 14:33

A lorry and a number 17 bus have crashed in Tufnell Park Road, the residential street being used as the main diversion during the A1 closure.

Yesterday, 14:18

A woman took a bite of a cheese roll – and found a broken razor blade embedded in it.

Yesterday, 12:37

Council officers slapped £400 fines on fly-tippers this month in a crackdown on environmental crime in the heart of Islington.

Yesterday, 09:09

Staff shortages forced Highbury and Islington Underground station to shut three times in the space of nine days over August.

Yesterday, 07:00

A heroic neighbour saved a toddler’s life after he turned “white as a ghost” and stopped breathing in his Upper Holloway home.

Tue, 17:51

A Broadchurch actor described as a “dangerous sexual predator” who targeted vulnerable women has been jailed for eight years.

Tue, 16:34

A wheelchair-bound mum today said she is scared to leave the house, as the bus driver who ran her over at a zebra crossing was banned from driving for six months.

Tue, 12:34

Newington Green Unitarian Church is in desperate need of repair. Nothing unusual there. What sets it apart, finds James Morris, are the 300 years of radical history witnessed by its crumbling walls.

Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read news


Cosmetics, toiletries, vitamins and more. Boots is the number one choice when it comes to purchasing daily essentials.

If you’re obsessed with Apple or just love a good gadget, this is a prize that will blow you away! An incredible £3,333 to spend on Apple goodies! How would you like to be the proud new owner of the Apple Watch?

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Islington Gazette
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now