December 10 2013 Latest news:
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
Middlesex batsman Eoin Morgan has lost his 2013-14 central contract to Yorkshire and England youngster Joe Root.
Morgan, who was not included in the Ashes squad, will play for Sydney Thunder for this winter’s Big Bash League and Australia’s domestic Twenty20 tournament before joining up with England’s limited overs side.
Root, 22, played a starring role in England’s Ashes-winning summer and the England and Wales Cricket Board has announced that he joins 10 other players in being awarded deals up to the end of September 2014.
Middlesex’s managing director of cricke, Angus Fraser, told the club’s website: “We are obviously disappointed for Eoin that he has not been awarded a new central contract by the ECB, but understand they have made their decision.
“Joe Root has come a long way in the past year and Eoin was the most vulnerable of England’s centrally contracted players. His return to Middlesex CCC, understandably affects budgets and Eoin is our major 2013/14 winter signing.
“Until we see next year’s fixture list it is hard to work out whether we will see more of Eoin than we did in 2013. Naturally, we hope we do as he remains an outstanding cricketer and a good man. We like having him around.
“As a club we were kept well informed by the ECB and have therefore been able juggle things accordingly.
“The challenge for Eoin is to show everyone, including the selectors, that he deserves a new central contract this time next year.
He is motivated to do this and I am sure he will play a lot of cricket for England, as well as Middlesex, over the course of the next few years.”
National selector Geoff Miller said: “Congratulations to Joe Root who is the one addition to the list of players awarded a central contract and this reflects the important role Joe has played for England since making his international debut last year and will I’m sure continue to play across all formats.”
The other players to be awarded contracts are James Anderson, Ian Bell, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Alastair Cook, Steven Finn, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior, Graeme Swann and Jonathan Trott.
The statement from the ECB also confirmed that negotiations had been concluded successfully on the arrangements for England contracts for a period lasting until October 2019, to include four Ashes series and five ICC global events.
ECB managing director Hugh Morris said: “We are delighted to have concluded a six-year deal and to have all contractual issues resolved in advance of what we all hope to be another successful Ashes tour.
“We thank the Professional Cricketers Association (PCA), Team England Player Partnership and the ECB Board for reaching this agreement which now allows the players to focus solely on cricket, not just during this tour, but for a considerable period beyond.”
Angus Porter, PCA chief executive, added: “I am pleased that we have secured a fair and appropriate long-term agreement, and have done so via amicable and constructive dialogue.”