Search

Spurs, Arsenal and Man City target keen on Premier League switch

13:24 12 December 2012

Athletic Club Bilbao

Athletic Club Bilbao's Fernando Llorente. Photo: Nigel French/EMPICS

EMPICS Sport

Transfer news: Athletic Bilbao striker Fernando Llorente admits he would be interested in a move to the Premier League next summer.

Llorente was the top Spanish scorer in the Primera Division last season, but he has fallen out with the Athletic hierarchy this term and has decided to leave when his contract expires in June.

Tottenham, Manchester City and Arsenal have all been linked with the 27-year-old Spain international and he admits a move to England interests him.

“I really like the Premier League and I’ve mentioned on more than one occasion that it’s a league which appeals to me a lot,” Llorente told Sky Sports.

“You never know. It’s one good option in terms of my future but we’ll have to wait until the end of the season to see what happens.

“It is true that we are approaching the date when I can sign for other clubs.

“I’m trying to keep it so that it is something which is managed by my brother and my representatives. That leaves me to focus on my football and help my team, Athletic, and nothing else, maintain focus.”

Reports had claimed Llorente had already agreed a deal to sign for Serie A leaders Juventus, but he insists that is not the case.

“No. That’s totally untrue,” Llorente said.

“I think it’s normal that people talk about these things, but ultimately you have to respect the rules.

“I am an Athletic player and, until January 1, I cannot sign with any other team.”

Llorente has fallen out of favour with manager Marcelo Bielsa since turning down a new contract in the summer. The striker, who was part of Spain’s recent World Cup and Euro 2012 winning squads, has only started one Primera Division game this season.

He feels he has been pushed out of the club by pressure from the media and the Athletic supporters.

“I made the decision at the start of the season,” Llorente said.

“We were playing a Europa League qualification game at San Mames and I noticed a significant deterioration in the relationship between the fans and me due to my protracted contract negotiations.

“Everything the press had written about me in the newspapers was pejorative and they succeeded in turning the fans against me.

“It was when I became fully aware of how that situation had affected the supporters that I made the decision.

“Ultimately you have to bear the situation for a long time and you get tired of living like that.”

Related articles

0 comments

Latest Sport Stories

Yesterday, 16:30
Arsenal in the Community head Alan Sefton at the new sports centre on Queensland Road

As Arsenal in the Community celebrate their 30th anniversary this week, it could certainly be said that the scheme has come full circle.

Yesterday, 12:55
Former WBO world middleweight champion Jason Matthews with coaches Bob Kipps (left) and Steve Kipps (right).

The father and son coaching team who produced international champions such as Michael Watson and Ian Napa have finally called time after 38 years.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger (David Davies/PA Wire)

Arsene Wenger was left fuming with Arsenal’s “suicidal defending” as their nightmarish 3-1 defeat to Monaco left them on the brink of Champions League elimination.

Most read sport

Digital Edition

Image
Read the $m.global.archantvariables.NewspaperTitle e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24
Our trusted business finder