Arsenal stars past and present congratulate community heroes
- Credit: Archant
Gunners stars past and present were on hand to congratulate winners at the Arsenal in the Community annual awards on Monday.
The gala event at the Woolwich Suite, in the Emirates Stadium, on Monday, saw club legends Alan Smith and Perry Groves dish out gongs, while a video message from midfielder Abou Diaby was also played.
Another former player, Roy Pack, was recognised for his contribution to the club’s community work.
Mr Pack, who played for just once for the club in the 1960s, now volunteers with Arsenal’s mental health programme Imagine Your Goals.
After the ceremony, visitors had the opportunity to have their picture taken with the FA Cup, which the Gunners won in May.
You may also want to watch:
A total for 350 people pitched in for Arsenal in the Community programmes during the 2013/14 season, including Kickz, which gives youngsters across Islington the chance to play football and stay out of trouble.
Alan Sefton, Head of Arsenal in the Community, said: “These awards are a great way for us to celebrate the achievements of the young people we work with, and to take stock of what we’ve achieved together over the past year. There are hundreds of people who make Arsenal in the Community what it is, and it’s brilliant to be able to thank them here at Emirates Stadium.”
- 1 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 2 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 5 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 6 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 7 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 8 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 9 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 10 Families of WW2 veterans join Jeremy Corbyn in presenting plaque