Charity searches for Islington veterans in gift box initiative
- Credit: Archant
A charity combating loneliness in the armed forces community has asked an Islington-based association to find World War Two veterans who have been denied their 75th anniversary celebrations.
Dr Charles Goodson-Wickes, president of the Islington Veterans Association since 2011, has been contacted by the Not Forgotten Association - a charity founded in 1920 to provide entertainment and recreational opportunities to wounded, injured and sick serving personnel and veterans with disabilities.
READ MORE: Veterans mark 75th anniversary of VJ Day in Islington with serviceIt has launched an initiative to find 5,000 World War Two veterans and thank them for their services with a gift box.
Charles said this period has been particularly difficult for veterans, especially since the commemorations of VE and VJ Day were greatly restricted.
“It’s a very enlightened initiative (to give away) a gift box and get recognition from the princess royal,” Charles said. “They (veterans) are obviously getting very old and not forgotten is the message, and one that I support wholeheartedly.”
The boxes will be sent out at the end of October, aiming to bring the veterans a bit of cheer and to thank them for all they gave.
You may also want to watch:
As well as keeping up and liaising with the many military charities, the Islington Veterans Association has regular social gatherings, committee meetings, dinners, and a monthly breakfast club for members.
Although this has been affected by the pandemic, Charles said: “The Islington Veterans Association has been impressively good at keeping in touch with their members directly, by telephone, email, and have also arranged Zoom meetings so that any members can inform us of any veterans who are in difficulty that need extra help.”
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 5 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 6 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 7 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 8 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 9 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
Veterans, an authorised family member or carer can register for the gift by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with their first, surname and maiden names, where appropriate; service number; military details, including arm/unit of service and dates; full postal address and telephone number; date of birth; and details of the individual/organisation providing the data, if it is not the veteran.