Crackdown targets Islington scooter thieves after 150 bikes stolen in just four months
- Credit: Archant
Scooter thieves will be targeted in a new large scale crackdown after more than 150 bikes were taken in just four months
The move, dubbed Operation Venice, is designed to hit the criminals who are cutting bike chains, breaking steering locks and wheeling off the stolen vehicles.
Since the start of April, 159 bikes, motorcycles and mopeds have been reported stolen in Islington, with an estimated value of more than £380,000.
The op, a joint venture from police in Islington, Camden and Westminster, will not only try to catch crooks, but also remind people how they can prevent theft.
Police recommend locking the vehicles in garages if possible or behind locked alley gates, securely chained and blocked in with another vehicle.
You may also want to watch:
Officers also suggest real or dummy CCTV cameras, and ask people to call 999 if they see suspicious activity in around driveways or vehicles.
Acting Det Sup Raffaele D’Orsi said: “Moped related crimes, were a moped is either stolen or used to commit the crime, continues to challenge us in a number of ways.
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 3 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 8 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 9 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 10 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
“We will continue to work together across police and local authority borders to take every opportunity to divert, disrupt, detect and prosecute those involved in such criminality.
“Operation Venice is a tri-borough operation working with specialist units from across the MPS and partners working together to tackle moped crime by robust activity against offenders, raising public awareness and engagement with industry.”
“We will be using a variety of tactics at our disposal such as vehicle stops to identify any mopeds stolen and to give crime prevention advice to their owners to make sure their mopeds are not stolen.”