Dozens celebrate Corbyn Street party – as we reveal whether Finsbury Park neighbourhood is named after Him
- Credit: Archant
Wireless Festival wasn’t the only all-day party in Finsbury Park yesterday.
Dozens of Corbyn Street homeowners and tenants came together for an all-day street party.
The first Corbyn Street party was held in 1977, followed by the Queen’s jubilee celebration in 2012. But after one was held last year, they now look to be an annual event.
And Laura Williams, who lives on the street, said it was important in light of last month’s terror attack nearby: “The defiance people have displayed is inspiring. It makes events like this hugely important – people coming out from behind their front doors and getting to know their neighbourhood.”
Meanwhile, we ask the important question: is the street named after a certain MP who represents the area?
You may also want to watch:
It appears not. In a tweet in 2010, Islington North MP and Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, then a backbencher, told Hannah Flynn: “I have never had a street named after me!”
And Laura said: “Apparently the family who owned the land on which Corbyn Street is built had a daughter named Corbyn. I believe they were aristocracy, named Beauchamp.”
- 1 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 4 Islington Council urges: 'Raise repairs before Partners hands back homes'
- 5 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 6 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 7 Police officer hospitalised after Dartmouth Park Hill hit-and-run
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Housing, LTN, Living Wage, child exploitation and charity shops
- 10 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes