Islington Assembly Hall in running for London’s best venue
- Credit: Archant
Islington Assemby Hall is in the running to be named the best venue in this year’s London Music Awards.
The prestigious list of 100 venues across the capital is one of 12 awards that will be handed out and the venue now sits in fourth place, with last years winner Union Chapel – also in Islington – in second place.
The hall, which was built in 1929, was in second but has slipped to fourth in the online vote.
Used for weddings, tea dances and a number of other things until its closure in the 1980s, it lay dormant for almost three decades before Islington Council raised the funds to restore it in 2009.
Since then the Upper Street venue has played host to acts like Foo Fighters, Sam Smith, London Grammar, the Zombies and even Paul Daniels.
You may also want to watch:
Helen Eastham, venue business manager, said: “It’s been a fantastic year for Islington Assembly Hall, with lots of really memorable nights and moments.
“This year is the fifth anniversary of our reopening and we’ve seen some of our best gigs ever in the last 12 months, including a secret show by Foo Fighters.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 4 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 5 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 6 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 7 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 8 Club Curling comes to Coal Drops Yard in King’s Cross
- 9 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 10 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
“We’re really overwhelmed by all the support we’ve been getting from people voting for us in the London Music Awards, and if anyone else has enjoyed a night at the Assembly Hall we’d welcome their vote.”
The assembly hall is not the only Islington venue on the list, with last year’s winner Union Chapel now in second, having been behind Islington Assembly Hall only last week. The Lexington in Pentonville Road in 11th.
Music venue and vegetarian cafe Green Note in Camden is top of the list for the awards which will be hosted by and Mayor of London Boris Johnson at Camden’s Roundhouse on June 11.
To vote for your favourite venue go to timeout.com/london/music/londons-favourite-music-venue-vote where you can also “disagree” with the venues on the list.