Islington Assembly Hall in running for London’s best venue
- Credit: Archant
Islington Assemby Hall is in the running to be named the best venue in this year’s London Music Awards.
The prestigious list of 100 venues across the capital is one of 12 awards that will be handed out and the venue now sits in fourth place, with last years winner Union Chapel – also in Islington – in second place.
The hall, which was built in 1929, was in second but has slipped to fourth in the online vote.
Used for weddings, tea dances and a number of other things until its closure in the 1980s, it lay dormant for almost three decades before Islington Council raised the funds to restore it in 2009.
Since then the Upper Street venue has played host to acts like Foo Fighters, Sam Smith, London Grammar, the Zombies and even Paul Daniels.
You may also want to watch:
Helen Eastham, venue business manager, said: “It’s been a fantastic year for Islington Assembly Hall, with lots of really memorable nights and moments.
“This year is the fifth anniversary of our reopening and we’ve seen some of our best gigs ever in the last 12 months, including a secret show by Foo Fighters.
- 1 Archway stabbing: 16-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder
- 2 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 3 Barnsbury homes evacuated after burst Thames Water pipe floods basements
- 4 Non-symptomatic Covid-19 test sites open in Islington
- 5 Islington man sentenced after spate of motorbike and bike thefts
- 6 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 7 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 8 Man sentenced for spitting in former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn's face
- 9 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 10 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
“We’re really overwhelmed by all the support we’ve been getting from people voting for us in the London Music Awards, and if anyone else has enjoyed a night at the Assembly Hall we’d welcome their vote.”
The assembly hall is not the only Islington venue on the list, with last year’s winner Union Chapel now in second, having been behind Islington Assembly Hall only last week. The Lexington in Pentonville Road in 11th.
Music venue and vegetarian cafe Green Note in Camden is top of the list for the awards which will be hosted by and Mayor of London Boris Johnson at Camden’s Roundhouse on June 11.
To vote for your favourite venue go to timeout.com/london/music/londons-favourite-music-venue-vote where you can also “disagree” with the venues on the list.