Islington fostering service a ‘national leader’, say inspectors
ISLINGTON council’s private fostering service is “emerging as a national leader”, according to Ofsted.
The service was rated as good with some outstanding features by the watchdog following an inspection in March.
Private fostering is when a child is cared for by someone who is not their close relative, but the arrangement was not set up by the council.
The report said: “In addition to providing outstanding leadership and management to its own staff, Islington’s private fostering service is emerging as a national leader in this field.”
Children and carers involved with private fostering in Islington have a high level of satisfaction and say the resource has had a positive impact on their lives.
You may also want to watch:
One charity that works with Islington Council sent a letter to Ofsted saying: “We work with all of the 157 local authorities in the UK and Islington Private Fostering Service is by far the most advanced.”
Councillor Richard Watts, Islington Council’s executive member for children and young people, said: “We want to help give all children and young people in Islington the best start in life, so it’s essential that we make sure that children who are privately fostered and their carers are taking advantage of all the services and support available to them.
- 1 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street forces Moorfields Eye Hospital to close
- 2 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 3 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 4 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 5 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 6 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 7 Police appeal after moped rider left seriously injured in crash
- 8 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 9 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 10 Landlord of Tollington Arms - popular with Arsenal fans - faces eviction
“This positive feedback on Islington’s private fostering team has come not just from Ofsted but also from other organisations they work with and is well deserved.”