Islington fostering service a ‘national leader’, say inspectors
ISLINGTON council’s private fostering service is “emerging as a national leader”, according to Ofsted.
The service was rated as good with some outstanding features by the watchdog following an inspection in March.
Private fostering is when a child is cared for by someone who is not their close relative, but the arrangement was not set up by the council.
The report said: “In addition to providing outstanding leadership and management to its own staff, Islington’s private fostering service is emerging as a national leader in this field.”
Children and carers involved with private fostering in Islington have a high level of satisfaction and say the resource has had a positive impact on their lives.
You may also want to watch:
One charity that works with Islington Council sent a letter to Ofsted saying: “We work with all of the 157 local authorities in the UK and Islington Private Fostering Service is by far the most advanced.”
Councillor Richard Watts, Islington Council’s executive member for children and young people, said: “We want to help give all children and young people in Islington the best start in life, so it’s essential that we make sure that children who are privately fostered and their carers are taking advantage of all the services and support available to them.
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Run Kids Run: Huge fun run raises £40,000 for Islington primary schools
- 3 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 4 'Help! I found a lizard in my luggage after my holiday'
- 5 'We're angry': London councillors demand Met tackles violence to women
- 6 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 7 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 8 Swan stops train in its track at Kensal Rise
- 9 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 10 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
“This positive feedback on Islington’s private fostering team has come not just from Ofsted but also from other organisations they work with and is well deserved.”