Islington fostering service a ‘national leader’, say inspectors
ISLINGTON council’s private fostering service is “emerging as a national leader”, according to Ofsted.
The service was rated as good with some outstanding features by the watchdog following an inspection in March.
Private fostering is when a child is cared for by someone who is not their close relative, but the arrangement was not set up by the council.
The report said: “In addition to providing outstanding leadership and management to its own staff, Islington’s private fostering service is emerging as a national leader in this field.”
Children and carers involved with private fostering in Islington have a high level of satisfaction and say the resource has had a positive impact on their lives.
You may also want to watch:
One charity that works with Islington Council sent a letter to Ofsted saying: “We work with all of the 157 local authorities in the UK and Islington Private Fostering Service is by far the most advanced.”
Councillor Richard Watts, Islington Council’s executive member for children and young people, said: “We want to help give all children and young people in Islington the best start in life, so it’s essential that we make sure that children who are privately fostered and their carers are taking advantage of all the services and support available to them.
- 1 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 4 Stan Kroenke and the European Super League have killed Arsenal FC
- 5 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 6 ESL 'the death of what football should be about', say Arsenal fans
- 7 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
- 8 Chamber music and arts festival scheduled for Islington this summer
- 9 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 10 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
“This positive feedback on Islington’s private fostering team has come not just from Ofsted but also from other organisations they work with and is well deserved.”