Islington fostering service a ‘national leader’, say inspectors
ISLINGTON council’s private fostering service is “emerging as a national leader”, according to Ofsted.
The service was rated as good with some outstanding features by the watchdog following an inspection in March.
Private fostering is when a child is cared for by someone who is not their close relative, but the arrangement was not set up by the council.
The report said: “In addition to providing outstanding leadership and management to its own staff, Islington’s private fostering service is emerging as a national leader in this field.”
Children and carers involved with private fostering in Islington have a high level of satisfaction and say the resource has had a positive impact on their lives.
One charity that works with Islington Council sent a letter to Ofsted saying: “We work with all of the 157 local authorities in the UK and Islington Private Fostering Service is by far the most advanced.”
Councillor Richard Watts, Islington Council’s executive member for children and young people, said: “We want to help give all children and young people in Islington the best start in life, so it’s essential that we make sure that children who are privately fostered and their carers are taking advantage of all the services and support available to them.
- 1 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 2 Plea date set for man accused of Sabita Thanwani killing
- 3 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 4 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 5 International food festival coming to Islington this month
- 6 'Mistrust and fear' of services fuelling Islington BAME employment gap, research finds
- 7 'Save Islington's buses': Call for action as sweeping cuts loom
- 8 O2 Centre climb: Entertaining with fantastic panoramic views of London
- 9 Young stars of the design world celebrated at awards
- 10 Call to get vaccinated amid Covid surge
“This positive feedback on Islington’s private fostering team has come not just from Ofsted but also from other organisations they work with and is well deserved.”