Islington fostering service a ‘national leader’, say inspectors
ISLINGTON council’s private fostering service is “emerging as a national leader”, according to Ofsted.
The service was rated as good with some outstanding features by the watchdog following an inspection in March.
Private fostering is when a child is cared for by someone who is not their close relative, but the arrangement was not set up by the council.
The report said: “In addition to providing outstanding leadership and management to its own staff, Islington’s private fostering service is emerging as a national leader in this field.”
Children and carers involved with private fostering in Islington have a high level of satisfaction and say the resource has had a positive impact on their lives.
You may also want to watch:
One charity that works with Islington Council sent a letter to Ofsted saying: “We work with all of the 157 local authorities in the UK and Islington Private Fostering Service is by far the most advanced.”
Councillor Richard Watts, Islington Council’s executive member for children and young people, said: “We want to help give all children and young people in Islington the best start in life, so it’s essential that we make sure that children who are privately fostered and their carers are taking advantage of all the services and support available to them.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 5 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 6 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 7 Islington charity choir smashes fundraising target with help from Brian Eno
- 8 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 9 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 10 Islington dancer recounts apartheid struggles in new book
“This positive feedback on Islington’s private fostering team has come not just from Ofsted but also from other organisations they work with and is well deserved.”