Line-up for second Islington literary festival unveiled
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Best selling author Charlie Higson is leading the line-up for this year’s Islington Word Festival.
Now in its second year, the festival celebrates reading, writing and freedom of expression throughout the month of May.
An open mic night reading “flash mob”, a knitting and poetry session and performances of new plays are all among more than 50 events taking place as part of Word2013 in Islington.
Other events also include a tour of Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium followed by a poetry workshop, an exhibition at Islington’s Local History Centre and a performance of new play The Readathon Don by young people at Platform Youth Hub.
Cllr Janet Burgess, Islington Council’s executive member for health and wellbeing, said: “The Word Festival is an important part of our Islington Reads programme, focusing on how we can help residents get jobs, skills and training through the promotion of reading.
You may also want to watch:
“With so many different types of events going on across the borough in May, there’s something to interest everyone – whether you’re looking for a free family outing or wanting to brush up on your poetry skills.”
The event is help being run with £60,000 funding from the Arts Council. Islington Council, Crossrail, the Islington Business Design Centre and Islington UNISON have also chipped in.
- 1 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 2 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 3 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 4 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 5 Countryside walking would be lovely - but the city has much to offer
- 6 Number of Islington opiate addicts seeking help doubles during lockdown
- 7 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 8 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 9 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 10 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
n Brochures are available online at www.islington.gov.uk/word2013 and for details of the events as they happen visit www.wordfestival islington.co.uk.