Line-up for second Islington literary festival unveiled
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Best selling author Charlie Higson is leading the line-up for this year’s Islington Word Festival.
Now in its second year, the festival celebrates reading, writing and freedom of expression throughout the month of May.
An open mic night reading “flash mob”, a knitting and poetry session and performances of new plays are all among more than 50 events taking place as part of Word2013 in Islington.
Other events also include a tour of Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium followed by a poetry workshop, an exhibition at Islington’s Local History Centre and a performance of new play The Readathon Don by young people at Platform Youth Hub.
Cllr Janet Burgess, Islington Council’s executive member for health and wellbeing, said: “The Word Festival is an important part of our Islington Reads programme, focusing on how we can help residents get jobs, skills and training through the promotion of reading.
You may also want to watch:
“With so many different types of events going on across the borough in May, there’s something to interest everyone – whether you’re looking for a free family outing or wanting to brush up on your poetry skills.”
The event is help being run with £60,000 funding from the Arts Council. Islington Council, Crossrail, the Islington Business Design Centre and Islington UNISON have also chipped in.
- 1 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
- 2 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 3 Thornhill School's 'dream' library opens after parents' 'relentless' fundraising efforts
- 4 Islington's great beer gardens - reopening today
- 5 Campaigners debate future of Holloway Women's Building with Peabody Trust
- 6 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 7 Drugs and cash seized in multi-force police op
- 8 Bunhill by-election set to go-ahead following Claudia Webbe's resignation
- 9 Can you help identify this man?
- 10 Canonbury landlords defy pandemic to launch new pub
n Brochures are available online at www.islington.gov.uk/word2013 and for details of the events as they happen visit www.wordfestival islington.co.uk.