Line-up for second Islington literary festival unveiled
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Best selling author Charlie Higson is leading the line-up for this year’s Islington Word Festival.
Now in its second year, the festival celebrates reading, writing and freedom of expression throughout the month of May.
An open mic night reading “flash mob”, a knitting and poetry session and performances of new plays are all among more than 50 events taking place as part of Word2013 in Islington.
Other events also include a tour of Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium followed by a poetry workshop, an exhibition at Islington’s Local History Centre and a performance of new play The Readathon Don by young people at Platform Youth Hub.
Cllr Janet Burgess, Islington Council’s executive member for health and wellbeing, said: “The Word Festival is an important part of our Islington Reads programme, focusing on how we can help residents get jobs, skills and training through the promotion of reading.
You may also want to watch:
“With so many different types of events going on across the borough in May, there’s something to interest everyone – whether you’re looking for a free family outing or wanting to brush up on your poetry skills.”
The event is help being run with £60,000 funding from the Arts Council. Islington Council, Crossrail, the Islington Business Design Centre and Islington UNISON have also chipped in.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 10 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
n Brochures are available online at www.islington.gov.uk/word2013 and for details of the events as they happen visit www.wordfestival islington.co.uk.