New Islington building up for award
A newly transformed 1980s office block has been shortlisted for a prestigious architectural award.
The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) has announced that the Angel Building, based on the corner of St John Street and Pentonville Road, Islington, is one of six architectural gems in the running for the organisation’s Stirling Prize, which awards the best new European building built or designed in Britain.
Designed by architects Allford Hall Monaghan Morris, the �72 million development on the site of the Old British Telecom offices took 82 weeks to complete and is used for office space as well as restaurants, including a soon-to-be Jamie’s Italian. It has already been named by the British Council for Office’s as the best refurbished workplace in the area.
In its announcement, the RIBA said that the office building “redefines the sector” and “is extremely well made and resolved, offering an idea of how building and working in the city might become a more dignified act.”
RIBA President Ruth Reed said: “The innovative retrofit of an old office shows how even with tight planning and building constraints, talent and imagination can totally transform existing structures and sites.”
You may also want to watch:
The winner will be announced on Sunday, October 1 at Magna Science Adventure Centre in Rotherham, South Yorkshire and will be broadcast on a special edition of BBC Two’s The Culture Show the following day.
William Hill betting agency has offered odds on The Angel Building winning the prize 7/1.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 2 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 3 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 4 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 5 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 6 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 7 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 8 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 9 Meet Charrli - the Islington start-up facilitating zero-waste shopping
- 10 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation