New Islington building up for award
A newly transformed 1980s office block has been shortlisted for a prestigious architectural award.
The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) has announced that the Angel Building, based on the corner of St John Street and Pentonville Road, Islington, is one of six architectural gems in the running for the organisation’s Stirling Prize, which awards the best new European building built or designed in Britain.
Designed by architects Allford Hall Monaghan Morris, the �72 million development on the site of the Old British Telecom offices took 82 weeks to complete and is used for office space as well as restaurants, including a soon-to-be Jamie’s Italian. It has already been named by the British Council for Office’s as the best refurbished workplace in the area.
In its announcement, the RIBA said that the office building “redefines the sector” and “is extremely well made and resolved, offering an idea of how building and working in the city might become a more dignified act.”
RIBA President Ruth Reed said: “The innovative retrofit of an old office shows how even with tight planning and building constraints, talent and imagination can totally transform existing structures and sites.”
You may also want to watch:
The winner will be announced on Sunday, October 1 at Magna Science Adventure Centre in Rotherham, South Yorkshire and will be broadcast on a special edition of BBC Two’s The Culture Show the following day.
William Hill betting agency has offered odds on The Angel Building winning the prize 7/1.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 5 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 6 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 7 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 8 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 9 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?