New Islington building up for award
A newly transformed 1980s office block has been shortlisted for a prestigious architectural award.
The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) has announced that the Angel Building, based on the corner of St John Street and Pentonville Road, Islington, is one of six architectural gems in the running for the organisation’s Stirling Prize, which awards the best new European building built or designed in Britain.
Designed by architects Allford Hall Monaghan Morris, the �72 million development on the site of the Old British Telecom offices took 82 weeks to complete and is used for office space as well as restaurants, including a soon-to-be Jamie’s Italian. It has already been named by the British Council for Office’s as the best refurbished workplace in the area.
In its announcement, the RIBA said that the office building “redefines the sector” and “is extremely well made and resolved, offering an idea of how building and working in the city might become a more dignified act.”
RIBA President Ruth Reed said: “The innovative retrofit of an old office shows how even with tight planning and building constraints, talent and imagination can totally transform existing structures and sites.”
You may also want to watch:
The winner will be announced on Sunday, October 1 at Magna Science Adventure Centre in Rotherham, South Yorkshire and will be broadcast on a special edition of BBC Two’s The Culture Show the following day.
William Hill betting agency has offered odds on The Angel Building winning the prize 7/1.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 3 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 4 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 5 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 6 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 7 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 8 Author inspired by Highbury for debut sci-fi novel about aliens
- 9 Spot tiny art 'gems' along The Parkland Walk
- 10 Covid-19 vaccination, low traffic neighbourhoods, council in school closure u-turn and more