“Plaque Idol” commemorates Islington’s historical heroes
“PLAQUE IDOL” is coming to Islington in a new scheme urging the public to vote for its favourite historical heroes.
The council is asking Islington residents to nominate the people, places and events in the borough’s history that they want to see remembered with a green heritage plaque.
Nominations for the new Islington People’s Plaque scheme will then be shortlisted and put out to a public vote, with the most popular suggestions being honoured with a lasting memorial.
Three plaques have already been put up to commemorate the former ANC Headquarters, in Penton Street, the birthplace of comic actor Kenneth Williams in Bingfield Street, and Sir Michael Sobell’s contribution to the Sobell Centre.
Councillor Catherine West, leader of Islington Council, said: “Islington is rich with people, places and events that have had a huge impact locally, nationally and internationally.
You may also want to watch:
“After a lot of interest in recent green plaques, we’re inviting our residents to tell us who they want to see honoured.
“Then we’ll put it out to a people’s vote, so at the end of the day it’s the community who will decide.”
- 1 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 2 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 5 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 6 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 7 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 8 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Finsbury Park to get its own Pokémon-GO style story
Nominations must be for a particular person, place or event that has “a meaningful connection with Islington and important local or national significance”.
The scheme covers the historic metropolitan boroughs of Finsbury and Islington.
To make a nomination or find out more please go to www.islington.gov.uk/heritage or call 020 7527 7988. The closing date for nominations is the end of November.