Rape attack foiled when Holloway residents hear woman’s screams and come to her rescue
- Credit: Archant
A woman was saved from being raped when residents heard her screaming and scared off her attacker.
The 30-year-old victim was on her way home from the Big Red pub in Holloway Road on Sunday, May 5 at about 2.20am.
As she walked past Loraine Mansions in Widdenham Road, a man pushed her into a front garden, put his hand over her mouth and tried to rape her.
People living in the area heard her cries and managed to scare off the attacker, who fled towards Quemerford Road.
You may also want to watch:
Police are now hunting the man, who is thought to have been involved in another attempted assault in Camden Road shortly before this attack.
They are also keen to speak to the victim, who did not report the incident.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 3 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 4 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 5 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 6 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 7 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 8 Author inspired by Highbury for debut sci-fi novel about aliens
- 9 Spot tiny art 'gems' along The Parkland Walk
- 10 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
Officers have released a CCTV image of a man they wish to talk to in connection with the attempted rape.
He is of medium build, between 5ft 10ins and 6ft, and was wearing a light-coloured T-shirt with writing on it, a dark tracksuit top and bottoms, and a distinctive dark-coloured baseball cap with a red brim with Chicago written on the front.
Det Con Faye Callaghan said: “I appeal to members of the public who may recognise the image to come forward and speak to police in confidence. I am particularly keen to speak to a woman who the suspect is believed to have assaulted in Camden Road by Sainsbury’s shortly before this incident occurred.”
n Call police on 0776 678 1861 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.