Search for human remains in Finsbury Park proves fruitless
- Credit: Archant
A search for buried human remains in Finsbury Park has proved fruitless.
Following a tip-off, police have been digging the garden of a property in Searle Place, off Evershot Road, since Monday, looking for a body that may have been buried 30 years ago.
But today Scotland Yard confirmed that nothing had been found, although an investigation is continuing into the original tip-off, not linked to the burial of human remains.
Det Ch Supt Gerry Campbell, Islington’s borough commander, said: “After three days of meticulous excavation by specialist teams, supported by ground penetrating radar, this part of the investigation has been concluded with no human remains being found.
“We are in the process of restoring the effected parts of the occupiers’ property to their original conditions. I would like to thank the occupiers for their patience, understanding and co-operation in this matter.
“In addition I hope the residents of Searle Place were not inconvenienced too much during this essential stage of the investigation. The end of the forensic excavation in Searle Place concludes the search for human remains and this aspect of the investigation.”
Detectives were contacted about the body claim in July last year and spent 12 months trying to back it up, including carrying out inquiries in Ireland, where the occupants of the property during the period in question were from.
- 1 40 firefighters called to scene as Highbury flat damaged
- 2 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 3 New community mural painted by residents unveiled in Stoke Newington
- 4 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 5 Call for fuel payment machines in Hackney and Islington
- 6 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 7 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 8 Stoke Newington: Pret 'sorry' after staff tell indy café 'we'll steal your customers'
- 9 Pirates: Reggie Yates film shot in Angel gets release
- 10 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
The force said the allegations do not relate to the current homeowners or any other ongoing investigation, and were not linked to any current missing person inquiry.