Services to remember Islington’s war dead
Fallen servicemen and women will be remembered at a memorial parade that will pass through Islington on Remembrance Sunday.
Veterans will set off from Highbury Corner at 10am tomorrow (Sunday) and proceed down Upper Street to Islington Green in honour of colleagues killed or injured in the two world wars and subsequent conflicts.
On the way, the procession – led by parade master Peter McCafferty – will stop at the Town Hall in Upper Street, Islington, where they will be joined by the Mayor, Jilani Chowdhury, the borough’s councillors and civilians from groups such as the Scouts, the Guides and St John Ambulance.
At Islington Green, the party will observe the customary two-minute silence at 11am, which commemorates the end of the First World War’s hostilities at 11am on November 11, 1918.
The Reverend Michael Learmouth, the Church of England’s area dean of Islington, Father Gerard King, the Roman Catholic dean of Islington, the Reverend Nigel Williams, honorary chaplain of the Islington Veterans’ Association, and representatives from the borough’s other religious communities, will also lead an inter-faith service, which will include the laying of wreaths at the Islington Green Memorial and the singing of the national anthem.
You may also want to watch:
The procession will continue to the Spa Green War Memorial at the Spa Green Estate off St John Street, Finsbury, where a remembrance service will take place at 11.40am.
There will be a third service at the Manor Gardens War Memorial in Manor Gardens, Holloway, at 2pm.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 3 Countryside walking would be lovely - but the city has much to offer
- 4 High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- 5 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 6 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 7 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 8 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 9 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 10 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets