Stroud Green chosen for ‘groundbreaking’ electric bike hire scheme
- Credit: PA
Cycling enthusiasts in Stroud Green could soon be getting a boost up the borough’s steep inclines, thanks to a groundbreaking electric bike hire scheme.
Hundreds of e-bikes - with a small battery-powered motor that helps riders pedal – could be made available at docking stations at Finsbury Park, taking the pain out of cycling in hilly areas.
The bikes would be available for a day or a week, but would not be interchangeable with the existing “Boris Bike” hire scheme in central London.
It is also hoped a new network of “quietway” cycle routes will be created – linking town centres through back streets, off-road routes and parks.
The pilot - which will be funded by Transport (TfL) – is subject to a feasibility study and planning permission.
You may also want to watch:
- The first stage of the programme will now be a detailed feasibility study by TfL and Haringey Council to establish the preferred corridor(s) for the hire scheme, compare technologies, and scope where the docking stations should be. All the locations will be fully consulted on and subject to planning permission.
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 3 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 9 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 10 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?