This week 30 years ago: Ghost invades Barnsbury Estate
- Credit: Archant
A squatter forced a family to flee in terror from the Barnsbury Estate.
Barred doors and bailiffs could not get rid of the unauthorised occupant.
For the new neighbour in Thorpe House was believed to be a ghost of a former resident who lived and died there 40 years ago.
Mike Cook, an Islington Council social worker, explained: “The family had so much interference from the ghost that it caused them health problems – and they were subsequently moved because of it.”
The council found it impossible to let to families on the waiting list, as neighbours continued to see and hear signs of the “presence”.
You may also want to watch:
The article was published on the day of Hallowe’en.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 8 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey