This week 30 years ago: Ghost invades Barnsbury Estate
- Credit: Archant
A squatter forced a family to flee in terror from the Barnsbury Estate.
Barred doors and bailiffs could not get rid of the unauthorised occupant.
For the new neighbour in Thorpe House was believed to be a ghost of a former resident who lived and died there 40 years ago.
Mike Cook, an Islington Council social worker, explained: “The family had so much interference from the ghost that it caused them health problems – and they were subsequently moved because of it.”
The council found it impossible to let to families on the waiting list, as neighbours continued to see and hear signs of the “presence”.
You may also want to watch:
The article was published on the day of Hallowe’en.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 7 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 8 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension