This week 30 years ago: Ghost invades Barnsbury Estate
- Credit: Archant
A squatter forced a family to flee in terror from the Barnsbury Estate.
Barred doors and bailiffs could not get rid of the unauthorised occupant.
For the new neighbour in Thorpe House was believed to be a ghost of a former resident who lived and died there 40 years ago.
Mike Cook, an Islington Council social worker, explained: “The family had so much interference from the ghost that it caused them health problems – and they were subsequently moved because of it.”
The council found it impossible to let to families on the waiting list, as neighbours continued to see and hear signs of the “presence”.
You may also want to watch:
The article was published on the day of Hallowe’en.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 3 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 4 Student on 'emotional' first day giving Covid jab to NHS workers
- 5 Man left partially blind after Islington robbery
- 6 Did Islington house prices rise by 13% in 2020?
- 7 Call for tech donations to tackle digital divide in students
- 8 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack
- 9 Islington and Camden charity connects generations with winter project
- 10 Corporation Street fight: Boy, 15, stabbed in the face in the Cally