This week 30 years ago: Ghost invades Barnsbury Estate
- Credit: Archant
A squatter forced a family to flee in terror from the Barnsbury Estate.
Barred doors and bailiffs could not get rid of the unauthorised occupant.
For the new neighbour in Thorpe House was believed to be a ghost of a former resident who lived and died there 40 years ago.
Mike Cook, an Islington Council social worker, explained: “The family had so much interference from the ghost that it caused them health problems – and they were subsequently moved because of it.”
The council found it impossible to let to families on the waiting list, as neighbours continued to see and hear signs of the “presence”.
You may also want to watch:
The article was published on the day of Hallowe’en.
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 3 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 4 New nightclub Glam to open in Shoreditch in June
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 7 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 8 Charity launches new campaign to eradicate food poverty in north London
- 9 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 10 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington