This week 30 years ago: Girl, 6, foils kidnapper in Ringcross Estate
- Credit: Archant
A brave six-year-old girl foiled a kidnapper who tried to snatch her friends.
Claire Delaney had been playing with Samantha Radley and two other friends in the Ringcross Estate in the Cally.
They were walking home when a man, holding a piece of rope, accosted them. He asked their names, offered them sweets and got hold of Samantha, also aged six, and another girl.
Quick thinking Claire told her friends to scream, grabbed their hands and ran them to Samantha’s home.
Police praised her actions, as did Samantha’s mum, of Soldene Court off Mackenzie Road. “Claire was very brave,” she said. I’m just thankful she’s such an outward-going girl.”
You may also want to watch:
Claire’s mum, Irene Delaney, of Papworth Gardens off George’s Road, added: “I’m very pleased she took heed of all my warnings.”
Their school, Ringcross School in Eden Grove, warned parents to “keep an extra eye on their kids for safety”.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 3 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 4 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 5 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 6 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 7 Islington charity choir smashes fundraising target with help from Brian Eno
- 8 Spot tiny art 'gems' along The Parkland Walk
- 9 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack
- 10 Corporation Street fight: Boy, 15, stabbed in the face in the Cally