This week 30 years ago: Girl, 6, foils kidnapper in Ringcross Estate
- Credit: Archant
A brave six-year-old girl foiled a kidnapper who tried to snatch her friends.
Claire Delaney had been playing with Samantha Radley and two other friends in the Ringcross Estate in the Cally.
They were walking home when a man, holding a piece of rope, accosted them. He asked their names, offered them sweets and got hold of Samantha, also aged six, and another girl.
Quick thinking Claire told her friends to scream, grabbed their hands and ran them to Samantha’s home.
Police praised her actions, as did Samantha’s mum, of Soldene Court off Mackenzie Road. “Claire was very brave,” she said. I’m just thankful she’s such an outward-going girl.”
You may also want to watch:
Claire’s mum, Irene Delaney, of Papworth Gardens off George’s Road, added: “I’m very pleased she took heed of all my warnings.”
Their school, Ringcross School in Eden Grove, warned parents to “keep an extra eye on their kids for safety”.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 6 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years