This week 30 years ago: Girl, 6, foils kidnapper in Ringcross Estate
- Credit: Archant
A brave six-year-old girl foiled a kidnapper who tried to snatch her friends.
Claire Delaney had been playing with Samantha Radley and two other friends in the Ringcross Estate in the Cally.
They were walking home when a man, holding a piece of rope, accosted them. He asked their names, offered them sweets and got hold of Samantha, also aged six, and another girl.
Quick thinking Claire told her friends to scream, grabbed their hands and ran them to Samantha’s home.
Police praised her actions, as did Samantha’s mum, of Soldene Court off Mackenzie Road. “Claire was very brave,” she said. I’m just thankful she’s such an outward-going girl.”
You may also want to watch:
Claire’s mum, Irene Delaney, of Papworth Gardens off George’s Road, added: “I’m very pleased she took heed of all my warnings.”
Their school, Ringcross School in Eden Grove, warned parents to “keep an extra eye on their kids for safety”.
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Islington signs deal to secure homes for Afghan refugees
- 3 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 4 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 5 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 7 Highbury church St Joan of Arc marks Covid-delayed centenary
- 8 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 9 Essex Road Sainsbury's closed for deep cleaning after rats filmed crawling over croissants
- 10 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists